Anyone Running on ART?

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone switched to ART from Dalvik? If so, how's it working for you? Problems? Improvements?

I have been running ART on my Nexus 5 for 8 months and it works fine. I am thinking of doing same with my Moto E.

TommyPepe

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
It's working fine but the only problem of using ART on moto E is the space available on the device. As to use ART it converts the runtime to libdvm.so to libart.so . Which makes each and every app memory size more. So only problem is the space, apart from that every thing is fine.

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I finally got my Moto e and immediately switched to ART. After enabling ART I ended up with 1.5 GB of free space instead of 2.2 GB. That's pretty bad but the phone is fast and the battery life is amazing. Also, although some apps appear under the moveable SD card column (Viber, Waze, Es File Explorer, etc) I cannot move them to the SD card. The button is greyed out. Can I run these from the SD if I'm on Dalvik?

bummpr

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I had to revert back from ART because I got memory restricted.

And I did not have that many apps installed!!!

The Moto E is fast enough...I did not pick up any noticeable improvement in speed...the memory reduction was too high a price to pay.

The-wolf547

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
True dat! With the Moto E's small storage capacity there is a price to pay when using the ART runtime.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I also reverted back to Dalvik so I could move more apps to the SD. I hope Lollipop will allow free movement of apps to the SD.