Any interest in purchasing the Moto G as a spare device?

Any interest in purchasing the Moto G?

• Total voters

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
At $179, I'm sure many people wouldn't mind getting the device just to have an extra phone around the house if need be. It's also great to see Moto releasing the device with 4.3 and plans to update it in January to 4.4.

If the device hits your carrier and funds allow, would you consider picking one up? Might also be a good alternative to get your feet wet with the Development side of Android.

bricky23

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If 4.4 runs as good on the moto g as it does on the nexus 5 , I will be all over it. The moto x is very smooth with dual core. So moto g running KitKat should be sweet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If 4.4 runs as good on the moto g as it does on the nexus 5 , I will be all over it. The moto x is very smooth with dual core. So moto g running KitKat should be sweet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
KitKat is optimized to run even on low spec phones with as low as 512mb ram... so I am very positive it will be smooth

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
At $179, I'm sure many people wouldn't mind getting the device just to have an extra phone around the house if need be. It's also great to see Moto releasing the device with 4.3 and plans to update it in January to 4.4.

If the device hits your carrier and funds allow, would you consider picking one up? Might also be a good alternative to get your feet wet with the Development side of Android.

I'm considering buying one just for the heck of it. Maybe as my "international backup" device.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I would but I want one of everything. I'll probably get the Firefox phone first though. That one is mainly to help support the project.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the feel of the device in-hand... I really like the screen size, but I'll wait for a review to get a general idea of the battery life and performance. I don't know what I'd do with it, though, since I already carry a Nexus 5 and Maxx around. A smaller device like this would be nice to replace the Nexus 5 with, but we'll have to see.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sigh...sorry guys, I meant to include a poll but didn't finish it up in the allotted 60-mintues - got distracted. Any-who, I likely won't be getting one. But it's good to know such an option will exists in the US soon for those wanting a device off-contract that is good enough to do what it's supposed to do at $179.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sigh...sorry guys, I meant to include a poll but didn't finish it up in the allotted 60-mintues - got distracted.
Good thing you happen to be friends with the Ambassador Team Leader who is also a Forum Moderator ;)

Your welcome buddy!

Paul
Forums Moderator/Ambassador Team Leader.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Good thing you happen to be friends with the Ambassador Team Leader who is also a Forum Moderator ;)

Your welcome buddy!

Paul
Forums Moderator/Ambassador Team Leader.
Thanks, Paul! Don't happen to know the head of Honda so I can get my Civic paid off sooner, do you? j/k :p

Let's see those votes, everyone!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested as a spare device at that off contract price. How could you not be interested?

Android 4.3 for under $200! Note there is no LTE which could be a deal breaker for many but also think of the battery life...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested as a spare device at that off contract price. How could you not be interested?

Android 4.3 for under $200! Note there is no LTE which could be a deal breaker for many but also think of the battery life...
Agreed. There are definitely tradeoff's that need to be taking into consideration. Initially, without seeing reviews, the device seems like a winner at that price.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Possibly. I have a Nexus 5 32 GB as my primary, and a Lumia 520 as spare. I like WP8 and playing with a different OS. I'm looking forward to WP8.1 and Cortana (voice assistant). The 520 is great for checking email on wifi, as a media player, surfing the web, playing with apps. When I'm at work, I don't get a phone signal but get great wifi and favor the 520 as it fits in my pocket better. I can text with Google Voice over wifi.

I'm sure that the price for the G will start to drop a few weeks after release, and may be able to get one on special. $199 is a great price for a 16GB, unlocked, no contract phone. I don't think I'll miss LTE much as I spend most of my time on wifi.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering buying one to replace my Nexus 4. Main reason is probably the battery life, size, and feel of the device. I'm not a fan of huge screens, so the Moto G will suit me well. I don't really mind the specs, i rarely use more than 1GB of ram on my N4. As long as it runs Ingress well, I'm happy. I've wanted to get a Moto X for a while now, but it isn't available in my country, but Moto G will be coming, so that is another reason I will get it. :) Hope it will be released soon, and at a similarly reasonable price.

Zay92

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Since the moto x is still expensive I'll just jump to this one once it gets to the states. so I can stop using the galaxy nexus and then get the nexus 5 as the main or back up phone..

Posted via Android Central App

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
If the reports are true that it feels very similar to the Moto X, then the build and feel should be top notch. The Moto X feels better in the hand than any phone I've ever used.

Yeah, I heard that too and that's a good start. Although, I sort of prefer the woven white's texture on the Moto X, but still, overall shape/size and the curves also add a lot to the feel of it. I'm hopeful haha

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm super curious about this phone but I can't see myself laying down the cash for something I don't really need.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Since it doesn't have LTE and only available for Pre-Paid on Verizon, I have no choice but to pass. I definitely would have considered this as an extra phone but can't use it on my carrier.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I love my Moto X but pretty sure I will pass on the Moto G.
I dont really want to have two activated phones again .
The fact that it doesn't have LTE has nothing to do with my decision.
I think it will be a great phone as a backup,,, or for someone who doesnt have cash to burn.:)

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 32 GB as my primary, and a Lumia 520 as spare. I like WP8 and playing with a different OS.

That's me exactly, except my Nexus 5 is 16GB.

I hope the Moto G is widely available so I can quickly get one if necessary. The 520 is nice for a 2nd phone, but it's too deficient to use as a primary device for too long.