We've got the Moto G, here's the place to ask your questions

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Apparently it comes without a wall charger.

How long does it take to charger via usb?

Can i use any micro usb wall charger? I have a nexus 7 (2012 edition), would that asus wall charger do? I don't want it to explode or melt like apples tend to do when using another brand charger.

According to the Phones4u salesman when I tested one in store you can use any micro usb wall charger. The rating varies slightly from something like 0.5A to 2.1A depending on manufacturer and price. The higher the amp rating the faster the recharge time. Even if you use a 2.1A micro usb charger from a tablet your phone will be ok (although I understand it may get a bit warm) I am just going to use the chargers I already have to avoid having to buy another. My old blackberry charger and cable fits and so does the plug that came with my Ipad mini (the plug itself has a usb socket so can connect Moto G usb cable to it)

Nicole Summers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

A tablet charger will charge it faster (my RAZR i got charged in about 1 hour with a Xoom 2 charger from 5% to 100%).

But it might also shorten battery life over time. We are talking half a year to a year of every day charging with a tablet charger here. As far as I know charging faster than normal produces little cracks in the material. Not sure how, but over time, the capacity of the battery will lower.
Personal experinece: My RAZR i would last from 7am to 6pm with my user habits. After charging it all the time with a Xoom 2 charger the battery went down from 7am to 4:30pm.

As long as the Ampere values don't vary too much you should be fine. Best would be of course to use branded chargers, they are safer.

Cheers,

Nicole

iainmann

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
How does it feel in the hand? Does it fit well on a medium-size hands? Does it notice too much thick?
About camera, how does it compare versus the sony ericsson xperia neo or kind of
what about the price of the shells? It seems the smartphone is quite cheap but not in the same way for the shells... I?ve heard that can be cost around 20$, I?m pretty interested in the flip cover shell.
Thanks for the replies!

The phone feels good in the hand...much better quality than I expected, although the camera just ok. The Moto G really is exceptionally good value for money. Battery covers in the UK will be ?8.99 and the flip covers will be ?18.99.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It feels nice, the slight curve to the back and the weight means it sits in your hand well. My hands are not small and the Moto G fits far nicer than the Nexus 5, which for me is a bit too big. It's also not as slippery in your hand compared to the Nexus 5, the dimple on the back with the Motorola "M" not only looks cool but sometimes your index finger naturally sits there and reassures you that it won't slip from your grasp.
I don't think the quality of the design and materials shows up in pictures or video, you have to see it in real life...I've had it for a few days and I still find it hard to believe that it only cost ?135 (8gb).
Everyone I've shown it to, iPhone users, HTC users, Nexus users have all been shocked by how good it is for such a ridiculously low price.

mertzi

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Can someone who owns the moto g take a comparison top profile picture with any flagship of 2012 or 2013 with the display downwards. All comparative pictures I've seen is with the display upwards and it's really hard to tell what impression the moto g gives regarding thickness. With the display downwards I think you'd get a better idea how the curved back actually looks.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Visual Phone Size Comparison

Hello! Can someone who owns the moto g take a comparison top profile picture with any flagship of 2012 or 2013 with the display downwards. All comparative pictures I've seen is with the display upwards and it's really hard to tell what impression the moto g gives regarding thickness. With the display downwards I think you'd get a better idea how the curved back actually looks.

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have mine and am loving it! Especially the battery which seems to be lasting well. The GPS doesn't seem to drain it as much as my old phone did either

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How is the speaker?

Is it loud or soft...

Posted via Android Central App
It's OK. About average for a smartphone speaker. Certainly nothing special, and not especially loud.

Is there any video out? Mhl? Micro HDMI?

Posted via Android Central App
Nope.

How's the battery life ?
Great! Moto G review | Android Central

Where exactly is the notification light located?
To the left of the earpiece. There's a bug affecting some users that turns it off in software though: How to fix the Moto G notification LED | Android Central

Hey. Can anybody tell me about camera quality? Comparable with Nexus 4?
The Moto G has better software, the Nexus 4 has better optics. Neither is spectacular.

My brother is going to Europe in January and he needs a new phone, I recommended the Moto G. He's on ATT.

My two questions:

If he buys the phone in Europe, will it be unlocked and compatible with 3G on ATT in the US?
If I buy it for him here in the US and ship it to him in Europe, will it be unlocked and compatible with networks in Europe?

Any sources with info would be greatly appreciated.
If only AT&T HSPA is important, get the global version, which supports AT&T and European bands. The US version only does AT&T/Tmo bands, not 900/2100, which are used in Europe.

Might have already been covered earlier, but how's this phone compared to the Nexus 4? Does it feel faster and snappier or about the same? Battery life? Quality of display? What about running apps? Does either phone have an edge when it comes to more demanding apps and games? In the walk through podcast it was mentioned that it felt comparable to a Nexus 4 experience but they didn't elaborate.
The Moto G has better battery life. In almost all other areas the Nexus 4 wins, though.

Will the GSM version sold in Europe be exactly the same version as the GSM version sold in the US?
Nope. Different bands. Tmo/AT&T on the US model, AT&T/900/2100 on the global model.

How does it feel in the hand? Does it fit well on a medium-size hands? Does it notice too much thick?
About camera, how does it compare versus the sony ericsson xperia neo or kind of
what about the price of the shells? It seems the smartphone is quite cheap but not in the same way for the shells... I?ve heard that can be cost around 20$, I?m pretty interested in the flip cover shell.
Thanks for the replies!
Feels great in the hand. Not too thick.

Camera: It's been a while since I've used the Neo, but it's probably not much better than that, if any better at all.

Shells are around ?9 in the UK — not cheap, but not exactly expensive either.

Can anyone explain how to get a dual SIM Moto G in the UK, by some kind of importing method? I have been web trawling for days without joy..

As far as I know the dual-SIM version hasn't been released yet.

frednoyb

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Battery life: an idea
Took my new phone charged it overnight, put it in my pocket did not use it all day (and it is properly set up with a few extra apps too) took it out the pocket at 10pm, still had 75% of the battery power - good IMO

mertzi

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Yes I've seen those. I meant like this:

yzebyvag.jpg

11.6 mm sounds pretty thick to me but I doubt it feels thick because of the rounded design. Seeing it upside down side by side with another phone might give a more honest picture of the thickness.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

YeOj

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody that has a Moto G tell me if the "tethering & portable hotpsot" feature is available out of the box like it is on the Nexus devices? Thanks in advance!

bop74

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I dropped my Nexus 4 on Friday... boom! Screen smashed and a huge replacement bill luming..

So I need a replacement phone and dropped into my local store Saturday prepared to pick up a cheapo phone to tide me over and was introduced to the Moto G!

It is indeed a great phone! It feels snappier in use compared to the Nexus 4 in my opinion though to me I do miss the extra width of the Nexus screen. I would also say that the finish is also just a notch higher on the LG offering. But then considering the difference in RRP then that is to be expected.

However.... 4 days later I am now on my second Moto G and will probably be on my third by the end of tomorrow.

The first one developed a fault with the volume toggle. To me, the volume button and power buttons seem really cheap and a point of weakness. My 'down' volume got intermittently stuck causing the phone to randomly boot into the flash boot loader. I then struggled to get the Up volume button to work to get out of it.

Having been to the store to get it replaced, I have noticed this latest handset has an annoying crackle on voice calls over the headset speaker. So much so that anything over half volume just grates on my ear.

I love this phone, but being objective I'm not sure that its that well put together. I'm beginning to think that they might have cut costs a bit too far in the manufacturing process. :-\

Last edited:

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
As bop74 said the volume and power buttons are a bit flimsy, you can hear them rattle if you shake the phone.
I haven't had any issues with the phone so far, works as it should.
Sorry mertzi I don't have another mobile handy to take the face down image comparison you wanted...I'll try.

ctowne

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this had already been asked, but does this work on T-Mobile HSPA+ 21?

I thought that T-Mobile hspa required the 2100mhz band along with 1700??

Sent from my LG G2!

Last edited:

jerrstan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I could have sworn the Droid Mini also had an LCD but featured Active Notifications. However, by default the LED was the notification but you could turn Active Notifications on. It would use the whole screen though and wasn't as efficient as those with an AMOLED.

*I read this from a Droid Mini user here on Android Central and can't confirm personally.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

This is correct for the Droid Mini. My phone

Sent from my XT1030 using AC Forums mobile app