Motorola Moto G - The Best Phone I've Ever Had???

ZingyTheRobot

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Okay, to start with I'm going to give you a little bit of background. In the past 12 months I have owned the following devices - HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S IV, LG G2, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and Samsung Galaxy S III. I would never try to claim that, on paper, the Motorola Moto G is better than any of the above mentioned handsets. What I will claim is that, for someone like me who has very limited needs, the Motorola Moto G 16GB is probably the best phone I have ever had! Quite a bold statement I know when you see what I've owned, but let me explain.

Do I need expandable memory? No! 16GB is more than enough memory for my needs and apparently for the needs of millions of others when you consider how many people own 16GB iPhone handsets with no expandable memory. Do I need NFC? No! It's a gimmick that quite frankly has no appeal to me whatsoever. Do I need 4G? No! First, I wouldn't pay the stupid prices they're asking for 4G access and second, 3G is more than enough for my limited needs. Do I need a decent camera on my phone? Hell no! I have an actual CAMERA for taking pictures and an actual CAMCORDER for video. The camera on the Moto G is quite capable for spur-of-the-moment pictures / videos.

So, with the lack of expandable memory, NFC, 4G and a decent camera out of the way, what's left is a phone with a fast processor, incredible screen, astounding speaker and truly out-of-this-world battery life (almost 2 days on from a full charge and still 50% left)! Motorola (or should I say Google) have done a sterling job with this phone, and let's not forget, we're talking about a ?129 phone. Can you honestly think of any phone twith this spec for less than ?250 new? If the Moto G had expandable memory, NFC, 4G and a decent camera, we would be talking about a high-end ?500+ phone! :p:p:p

BR

Zingy

michaels_epp

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
This^. I have a Moto x but I'm seriously thinking about getting the g when it becomes available on Republic Wireless. The only thing I care about is the camera,screen,fast enough.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
The G is great if you are waiting for that next gen device. If you don't like the current crop of phones the G give you interim device with just enough power and battery life.

I think Moto has learned from the Moto G and the Moto X $350 sale. There is demand for off contract phones in the US, and its growing. Bring the specs and the features for a decent price, and people will come. It's my belief that Moto will offer a phone between the Moto X and the Moto G, for $350 off contract.

tech addicted

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
This^. I have a Moto x but I'm seriously thinking about getting the g when it becomes available on Republic Wireless. The only thing I care about is the camera,screen,fast enough.
I have the moto x and my girlfriend has the moto g , the moto x is still a better phone for thos who cares about browser speed and in general speed, active notification, voice command bigger screen for me the $150 extra for the moto x i payed is well worth it I got it on black Friday, after my HTC one s the moto G would be a step back .

The moto G is still a great phone for the price.

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I love mine! & coming from a phone which I was stuck on contract for which didn't work very well at all, I love being off contract. I'm not a heavy user so I can now pay just ?7 per month & update my phones when I want (and can afford to!) Rather than when my contract tells me. Especially as more and more contracts over here are 24 month now!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I could see being perfectly happy with the Moto G.
NFC is a gimmick, it's disabled by half the carriers by default anyways. (maybe not if you buy a full retail version?)
Removable battery and SD card slots are useless imo. I have had 16GB phones and never fill them up. ( I know how to hook them to my computer and transfer stuff back and forth)
4G and LTE for me would be really hard to do without after having it. I guess if all I ever did was talk and text with an occasional Data usage here and there I would be ok with it, but I USE my LTE network.
I have the iPhone 5S and the Moto X. The X features makes it the best phone in the world to me. iOS may have a little more smoothness over android, but after having active notifications and Always listening, a phone that talks to me as I drive down the road, that is REALLY hard to go back to a phone without it.

The moto G will be great for many people, but for me the Moto X is the all time favorite phone I have owned.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay, to start with I'm going to give you a little bit of background. In the past 12 months I have owned the following devices - HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S IV, LG G2, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and Samsung Galaxy S III. I would never try to claim that, on paper, the Motorola Moto G is better than any of the above mentioned handsets. What I will claim is that, for someone like me who has very limited needs, the Motorola Moto G 16GB is probably the best phone I have ever had! Quite a bold statement I know when you see what I've owned, but let me explain.

Do I need expandable memory? No! 16GB is more than enough memory for my needs and apparently for the needs of millions of others when you consider how many people own 16GB iPhone handsets with no expandable memory. Do I need NFC? No! It's a gimmick that quite frankly has no appeal to me whatsoever. Do I need 4G? No! First, I wouldn't pay the stupid prices they're asking for 4G access and second, 3G is more than enough for my limited needs. Do I need a decent camera on my phone? Hell no! I have an actual CAMERA for taking pictures and an actual CAMCORDER for video. The camera on the Moto G is quite capable for spur-of-the-moment pictures / videos.

So, with the lack of expandable memory, NFC, 4G and a decent camera out of the way, what's left is a phone with a fast processor, incredible screen, astounding speaker and truly out-of-this-world battery life (almost 2 days on from a full charge and still 50% left)! Motorola (or should I say Google) have done a sterling job with this phone, and let's not forget, we're talking about a ?129 phone. Can you honestly think of any phone twith this spec for less than ?250 new? If the Moto G had expandable memory, NFC, 4G and a decent camera, we would be talking about a high-end ?500+ phone! :p:p:p

BR

Zingy

I find your situation illogical. 5S, one, GS4 worse off than the G? I can understand the X as its contextual awareness is incomparable right now. Unless your only bar is battery life I dont see what G offers in superior way to the aforementioned devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I find your situation illogical. 5S, one, GS4 worse off than the G? I can understand the X as its contextual awareness is incomparable right now. Unless your only bar is battery life I dont see what G offers in superior way to the aforementioned devices.

i guess you misunderstood...he is obviously speaking about the best FOR HIM!

and yes, sometimes flagships are not the best for some pplz needs but it doesen't mean they are bad phones!

sometimes, the simplicity and affordability of a device like the Moto G is just enough for ones needs!

it all depends on the user in the end lol

sent from my Moto G <3

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
i guess you misunderstood...he is obviously speaking about the best FOR HIM!

and yes, sometimes flagships are not the best for some pplz needs but it doesen't mean they are bad phones!

sometimes, the simplicity and affordability of a device like the Moto G is just enough for ones needs!

it all depends on the user in the end lol

sent from my Moto G <3

Fair enough I guess. Though if he has had all those flagships, price doesn't seem to be an issue. So I still Dont understand his situation. I think the G is the best budget device by a wide margin, but it Dont see how it is better than the arguably mid range X (also with better than average battery life), or any of the other flagships.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough I guess. Though if he has had all those flagships, price doesn't seem to be an issue. So I still Dont understand his situation. I think the G is the best budget device by a wide margin, but it Dont see how it is better than the arguably mid range X (also with better than average battery life), or any of the other flagships.

Well, okay. I find that a 3 years old Samsung Galaxy S is better than the latest iPhone 5S. Remember this is just me and for my situation. I still get tons of freedom and can do countless things that you can't on the iPhone 5S.

sent via tapatalk

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, okay. I find that a 3 years old Samsung Galaxy S is better than the latest iPhone 5S. Remember this is just me and for my situation. I still get tons of freedom and can do countless things that you can't on the iPhone 5S.

sent via tapatalk

Considering the fact that they use two different operating systems I can understand that. Maybe there are things you want to do on an android phone that you would never be able to do on an iOS device. But do you prefer the Galaxy S to a Galaxy S4, Note 3 or maybe a HTC one? If so I also don't understand you.

Anyhow, congrats to the OP on his new phone. I think its a fine device. I plan to pick one up for my gf.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Congrats. I can see myself also perfectly content with a G versus my Nexus 5 or Moto X. In all the time I've had the S3, N5, or X, I haven't used NFC. For the money and cost effectiveness, there isn't a better Android phone than the G. The FM radio feature is an added plus.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Bought two and gave them to my parents for Christmas today. I've got a Moto X and after setting them up for my parents and playing around with one for a bit, I'm VERY impressed with the Moto G, especially at $200.

Fantastic device for a ridiculously low price. There simply isn't another phone close to it as far as bang for the buck.

f2k8

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Delighted to read this. I'm in a very similar situation to OP, the only thing I would have loved is an SD card slot but I can live without it, and I'll be purchasing micro USB card slot in the future for my video needs, but other than that, the phone sounds perfect for me. I'll be purchasing the 8GB on Monday from Tesco for ?89, absolute bargain! I'm not really the type of person to spend hundreds and hundreds on phones, so having it at that price is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton