Moto G: Battery glitch?

Derek_78

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Motorola Moto G, had it for a few weeks and so far I am very happy with it, however.

This morning I turned it on, (yup off all night) checked my usual, twitter etc. Put it in my pocket and headed out.

Bit later I went to send a text and it was off? Turned it on to see 1% battery. I knew it was at about 50% battery earlier.

So I charged it for 5 min only to see it back around 50% as instant it seems as it depleted.

Glitch? Screen shot.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek_78

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery glitch?

Went fine after this. Now at 80% after flattening it and fully charging. I'll keep an eye on it tho.

jim1405

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

You aren't alone. There is a thread over at the other site where a lot of owners have had similar flaky battery issues.

The same thing happened to me last night. Went to bed it was at 88% with everything turned off (Wi-Fi, BT, backups, updates etc.). 5 hours later it shut itself off. Powered it back up and it read 1%. Plugged it into a wall charger and 45 minutes later when I checked it was at 100%. Not enough time to fully charge to 100% if it really was at 1% to begin with. Flaky.

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm not sure it's a battery issue, I think it might be the cable and charger combination...I noticed while charging using an HTC cable and HTC plug it was fine, when I decided to try the cable supplied with the Moto G the charging icon would flicker several times as if on and off. I reseated (pulled out and put back in) the cable on both ends a few times and it seems to be ok now.
I just check when I plug it in that the charging icon is on, the "charging" text isn't flashing and the % icon is on.

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Same here too. Happened a few nights ago, went to bed with 50% remaining on battery. Woke up in morning and realised my alarm on the phone hadn't gone off and when I checked it had powered off. Turned back on to reveal battery on 1%. Started to charge it and after 30 or 40 minutes it was back up to 80-90%. Its been fine since and put it down to battery needing time to run through a few charge and discharge cycles. Glad its not just me anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

just happened to me after plugging the phone into my computer to transfer a couple things. from 75% to 1 instantly. charged it for about 30 minutes until the battery itself got back to full and the indicator went from 21 to 100%. Just a battery calibration issue, it seems.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I had a different battery glitch on mine out of the box - OS not reporting via the API when the phone was plugged/unplugged. Fixed after Factory Reset. I'd recommend a Factory Reset before doing anything else on unboxing your new Moto G (should also fix the other common issue on the phone out of the box - inability to sideload apks).

Derek_78

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

You aren't alone. There is a thread over at the other site where a lot of owners have had similar flaky battery issues.

The same thing happened to me last night. Went to bed it was at 88% with everything turned off (Wi-Fi, BT, backups, updates etc.). 5 hours later it shut itself off. Powered it back up and it read 1%. Plugged it into a wall charger and 45 minutes later when I checked it was at 100%. Not enough time to fully charge to 100% if it really was at 1% to begin with. Flaky.

Just happened again. As you can see by my last post date it took a while to do this again. Link to other thread? What should I do? Any fixes?

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Did you say wall charger? I charge mine on the PC.

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Just happened again. As you can see by my last post date it took a while to do this again. Link to other thread? What should I do? Any fixes?

It happened to me twice so I contacted Motorola UK and they suggested 2 complete discharge (until it turns itself off) and recharge (back to 100%) cycles. After the second charge and with the phone at 100% charge it turned itself off again but when I turned it back on it wasn't showing 1% charge (which is what it had done previously) but still 100%. It hasn't happened since and the phone is now on 4.4.2. It was on 4.3 when I had the power offs. On the first 2 occasions that I had the problem Moto Assist was "active" i.e. in sleep mode so I have stopped using it for the time being and will try again in a few weeks if the phone behaves itself. Each time I have had the problem the phone has not been charging and has just been sitting there with the screen off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Did you say wall charger? I charge mine on the PC.

Any charge source (PC or wall) btwn 0.5mAh and 1.5mAh is OK. (info from Motorola's website). Only thing is that lower mAh's need bit longer charging time (30-45 mins extra).
However, I noticed that lower input, despite longer charge time, keeps battery last longer... I charging my MotoG with either LG charger (0.75mAh) or HTC charger (1.0mAh) and all ok...

Nicole Summers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Hey all,
As far as I know the Kitkat update applied changes to the battery meter. A full charging cycle (0% to 100% and then +1h on 100%) should help.
Cheers,
Nicole

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

This is more of a software issue and it happens when you update the OS.

The fix is to completely drain the battery(let it die) and then charge it to 100% that will recalibrate the battery

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

theres a reason motorola gave only a usb cable with it. you're meant to charge it from a computer or laptop usb port. chargers can be used but i would get one that gives out same current as a usb port does.

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

theres a reason motorola gave only a usb cable with it. you're meant to charge it from a computer or laptop usb port. chargers can be used but i would get one that gives out same current as a usb port does.

Very few chargers with 500 mAh...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Caz42

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

I've had the same issue twice. Had 60% battery which went to 8% over an hour period with phone on standby only. When I plugged wire in to charge it, it went straight back to 60% within a minute of charging ??

I charge mine slowly with a 500 wall charger and get 4 days medium use from the phone, 2 days heavy use, and around 5-6 days light use.

Caz42

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Presently while charging, my phone doesn't play a tune/beep to tell me when it's fully charged. Is there a setting for this I've missed somewhere as it's annoying me having to keep checking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae