Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wez Knowles
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto G: Proximity Sensor - Can someone confirm?

Bear with me while I explain my query, this is my first time here

When I first got the phone, for the first initial hour or two, I couldve sworn that as soon as my finger hit the proximity sensor located next to the speaker up top, the screen went blank. It came back on as soon as I removed my finger from the proximity sensor.

Now it only does this when I'm in a skype call, or a normal phone call.

Was it something I just imagined?

Could someone confirm if you touch your proximity sensor in normal cirumstances (i.e not in a call, say when just browsing the web), does the screen go off (black)?

Thank you

Default Re: Proximity Sensor - Can someone confirm?

Welcome to Android Central! Was the screen going completely black, or was it just dimming a lot? If you blocked the ambient light sensor and if your phone was set to Automatic Brightness, it might have thought it was suddenly dark in the room, and then dimmed the screen to minimum in response.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! Was the screen going completely black, or was it just dimming a lot? If you blocked the ambient light sensor and if your phone was set to Automatic Brightness, it might have thought it was suddenly dark in the room, and then dimmed the screen to minimum in response.
    Completely black. As it does when i block sensor if i'm in a phone call.

Do you have a moto G? If so can you just quickly block the proximity sensor (next to speaker up top in front top right), and do it while you're in a normal mode such as in chrome or just main screen. Can you do it and tell me if yours does it?

Sorry, I don't have a G. Hopefully someone else on this forum can test it out for you.

I has the same idea b. Diddy had but since that was not the answer you may(if not answered) try calling and/or get replacement

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

na man dont want to get a replacement i love it its just that i wanted to see if anyone else has moto g and it does that thats all would appreciate if someone who has a moto g can confirm and reply cheers

No, the screen doesn't go off when I cover the proximity sensor if I'm not in a call.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    shmotog likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Wez Knowles View Post
    No, the screen doesn't go off when I cover the proximity sensor if I'm not in a call.

Posted via Android Central App
    thanks wez knowles . nice, thats how it is with me as well. i guess that proves i just 'imagined' it. perhaps it happened earlier cause i was in a skype call. anyway if anyone else finds their behaves differently do share

it happened to me after a few calls.. i enabled the "power button ends call" in accessibility menu. It hasn't happened since dunno why!

mine goes off when im calling, more of the top right side beside the speaker. if i put my finger around it