Unable To Install Apps From Outside The Store: Update

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
This may or may not be news but thought I'd share it anyway.

As many users are undoubtedly aware, for a whole lot of people they're unable to install apps from anywhere outside the Store or indeed to sideload their backed-up apps from their PC. The standard workaround is to upload the apps to Drive and install from there which works, or alternatively try one - or more - factory resets which reportedly has and hasn't worked, or the last method is for rooted users installing through ES Explorer (I'm not one of them).

The update I've received from Motorola UK is that the bug will be fixed in KitKat but apparently they're not going to be issuing a seperate fix for this. I won't be updating to KitKat when it arrives so they advised the reset option which they say they have tested and works, although it may have to be done up to three times. That's my next job so see what happens!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't it work to set the phone to accept apps from unknown sources? Works on my 3 phones.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't it work to set the phone to accept apps from unknown sources? Works on my 3 phones.

With respect Mrs M, I - and others - do know to do that beforehand.

It's a known issue with the G, although weirdly it doesn't affect all devices. It appears to have worked after just one reset, but I'm having a hell of a s*** with Helium backup!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
With respect Mrs M, I - and others - do know to do that beforehand.

It's a known issue with the G, although weirdly it doesn't affect all devices. It appears to have worked after just one reset, but I'm having a hell of a s*** with Helium backup!

Oh, strange issue. My bad. 8-/

f2k8

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
The update I've received from Motorola UK is that the bug will be fixed in KitKat but apparently they're not going to be issuing a seperate fix for this. I won't be updating to KitKat when it arrives so they advised the reset option which they say they have tested and works, although it may have to be done up to three times. That's my next job so see what happens!

What are you saying here? That the KitKat update will fix it and allow us to install 3rd party apps, or it won't? Is there any work around to installing 3rd party apps on KitKat?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
What are you saying here? That the KitKat update will fix it and allow us to install 3rd party apps, or it won't? Is there any work around to installing 3rd party apps on KitKat?

If you read what I wrote, Motorola said it will be fixed in KitKat but they won't be issuing a seperate fix for it.

So if you update to KitKat problem fixed, if you don't update to KitKat - like I won't be doing - then there won't be a seperate fix for it. The first factory reset I did resolved the problem but Helium failed to restore my apps (either by PC or Drive) so I carried out another reset and now its not working again. No major deal but still annoying nevertheless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay