Moto G on Prepaid Voice Plan

MotoG

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to use the Moto G (Best Buy $100) on a prepaid voice plan only? Just to get the phone working for calls and texts. Anyone have success trying this on this phone or another smartphone? I see that T-Mobile has the $35 a month for unlimited call/text and no data (it would be perfect for me). Verizon has the $35 500 anytime minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data. But they are listed as voice plans. I wouldn't want to get the phone and not be able to use either plan.

Would getting the unlocked version make a difference and allow me to use it as a regular phone without a data plan? Any information is appreciated.

The Doctor 33

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Make sure you are on a wifi internet connection when you first use the phone, and you should be fine then.

You will miss out on some of the wonderful stuff without a dataplan of course, and I can't imagine you cannot get a dataplan that is cheap enough.

Over here in Europe I've got a 2GB datalimit and 300 minutes of talk and/or 300 texts for EUR 24 (which should be about $30)

Also, when you are in USA, try getting the Moto X instead. If it had been available in a European version, I would have gotten that without blinking twice.
I have to make do with a Moto G now, and that's already a great phone.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to use the Moto G (Best Buy $100) on a prepaid voice plan only? Just to get the phone working for calls and texts. Anyone have success trying this on this phone or another smartphone? I see that T-Mobile has the $35 a month for unlimited call/text and no data (it would be perfect for me). Verizon has the $35 500 anytime minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data. But they are listed as voice plans. I wouldn't want to get the phone and not be able to use either plan.
For $100 at Best Buy you get the CDMA version locked to Verizon. I think Verizon requires a smartphone plan to activate this. I'll know more later tonight.

MotoG

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
@UnicornRancher

Did you happen to get the Best Buy one? If so how did you activate it? Do you need to buy the prepaid phone card in order to activate it?

I found this go to on Walmart search for "Verizon Walmart Exclusive $50 Refill Prepaid Airtime (Email Delivery)". Its the first one, it says its for a smartphone plan it should be able to work. Im thinking of getting the Best Buy $100 option and the Walmart prepaid card.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I did get the Best Buy one last night but haven't activated it yet. However, I did the corner taps to get past the activation screen so I could play with it. I'm impressed so far.

I have a flip phone on a Verizon pay as you go plan for a few years. I'm going to try to transfer that account to my Moto G. If it works, great. On the other hand, if they block the transfer, the Moto G seems like a very capable mini-tablet for $100. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs