KitKat 4.4.2 Network Work Mode Disabled....GRRR!!!

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
When at home I normallyhave my network mode set to 2G to help conserve battery. I don't have the greatest 3G signal in the house and the only time I use data on my phone is when I'm lying in bed, otherwise I use the PC.

However, amongst many other very useful - sorry, useless - updates to the OS they have removed the option to switch network mode between 2G/3G - it's 3G or nothing. There is a workaround by dialling *#*#4636#*#* to open up the testing menu and manually switching it to GSM in "Phone information" - how convenient (not). :mad:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
haaa... haa... i think you must be joking because i am still able to change my network mode from 2G/3G. I guess your device may have come from out of this world....

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Well living in the UK I've probably got the third world version.

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Well living in the UK I've probably got the third world version.

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

I have Moto G UK Retail version with 4.4 and there is option to toggle 2G/3G. Dont know what u problem is, but option is still there as I know.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Nicole Summers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

it might depend on what the network provider offers. I am on Giffgaff in the UK and I only get shown 3G. My partner is on 3 and can see both 2G and 3G. We both have retail UK.

I would assume Giffgaff only rents 3G capacity from O2, but doesn't rent 2G capacity. Therefore Giffgaff wold run on 3G only anyway and changing the settings to 2G on 4.3 would not have any effect. 4.4 might just simply reflect that.

Not sure if this is right, but it would explain the differences.

Cheers,
Nicole

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

it might depend on what the network provider offers. I am on Giffgaff in the UK and I only get shown 3G. My partner is on 3 and can see both 2G and 3G. We both have retail UK.

I would assume Giffgaff only rents 3G capacity from O2, but doesn't rent 2G capacity. Therefore Giffgaff wold run on 3G only anyway and changing the settings to 2G on 4.3 would not have any effect. 4.4 might just simply reflect that.

Not sure if this is right, but it would explain the differences.

Cheers,
Nicole
Hi Nicole!

It appears to be a peculiarity with the o2 network (o2, giffgaff,Tesco) where the option to manually select the network to stay in 2G mode as disappeared: it doesn't appear from what I've seen to affect other networks.

My brief so far contact with o2 has been pretty fruitless, saying they will send me an "update" whatever that may mean. :(

dalmore

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I have lost the ability to change between 2G and 3G, after the Kit Kat update. My phone is used on the Virgin network but unlocked from Phones4U. Spoke with Motorola UK who said to use another sim card, but could not be bothered as Sizzers had put a way around the problem.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
It may also be what the tower nearest you has available. A few months back they installed a new tower in our area that only has 3G and 4G antennas.

Having said that, my G shows 2G or 3G options, but then I may also be getting the 2G option from another tower that has been there a long time.

Try checking the settings when away from your home in an area with known good 2G and 3G.

terrq333

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Please can someone post how to do this? I am on Verizon and in my home the 3_g is constantly flickering and going out. Does WiFi affect this in any way? I also drop every time I use phone in my home . thanx

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol