Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto G: US or Global version for 90% US, 10% Central and South America use????

My father in law is looking for advice on his first smartphone. My wife and I recently purchased two Moto G's (US version) and are very happy with them. He will be spending about 90% of his time in the USA and traveling to fairly remote areas (mission work) in Central and South America. I've been told T-Mobile is probably the best carrier for coverage (he is already a T-Mobile customer) and am wondering if that is accurate? Also, would he be better off with the US or Global model??? Maybe a different phone entirely? He would like to have voice and data connection as much as possible. I'm not even sure where to start researching this and am hoping someone here has knowledge.

Thanks,
    Chris

Default Re: US or Global version for 90% US, 10% Central and South America use????

Quote Originally Posted by prskier17 View Post
    My father in law is looking for advice on his first smartphone. My wife and I recently purchased two Moto G's (US version) and are very happy with them. He will be spending about 90% of his time in the USA and traveling to fairly remote areas (mission work) in Central and South America. I've been told T-Mobile is probably the best carrier for coverage (he is already a T-Mobile customer) and am wondering if that is accurate? Also, would he be better off with the US or Global model??? Maybe a different phone entirely? He would like to have voice and data connection as much as possible. I'm not even sure where to start researching this and am hoping someone here has knowledge.

Thanks,
    Chris
    The global model will work on AT&T and most other north american carriers as well as south america except for t mobile.

The US version will work with T-Mobile and north american carriers but I don't know about south america.

You can check what frequencies the carriers use for gsm sign and compare it to the specs of the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Default Re: US or Global version for 90% US, 10% Central and South America use????

US version has AWS band - optimized for tmo but will work on ATT

The new Google edition is the global version.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I appreciate the replies. I'm hoping someone has knowlege of what frequencies are most available for GSM and UMTS. Specific areas are northern Panama and souther Costa Rica.

Quote Originally Posted by prskier17 View Post
    I appreciate the replies. I'm hoping someone has knowlege of what frequencies are most available for GSM and UMTS. Specific areas are northern Panama and souther Costa Rica.
    Look up the carriers you would be using on Wikipedia and find out what frequencies they use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks. I don't see the 2100mhz band used in those countries so I think the US model will suffice.