Advise please for Bar Code Scanner

desert turtle

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Remember me?... Yes this is my first smart phone.

Curious what bar code scanner you use..with shop comparison.

If you have time can you share if I look at similar apps with four stars or so ... will there be significant differences. Is there a good 'compare app' site you use?

Thank you:cool:

desert turtle

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your quick reply. Going to the link reminded me of another question. How concerned should I be about the content of "permissions" on apps in the google play store? Update: I just read the FAQ which gave me a better understanding of the permissions. whew.

I am still interested on anyone's thoughts on permissions
Are there specific permissions that you don't accept? I appreciate your help and this communities help very much.

Last edited:

davekelly12

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Android apps need certain information from your phone to work correctly. You are notified of what the app has access to under 'Permissions'.

A wall paper app does not need access to your contacts or google account. If it does then the app is doing other than what it says on the tin. So be aware....

Thank you for your quick reply. Going to the link reminded me of another question. How concerned should I be about the content of "permissions" on apps in the google play store? Update: I just read the FAQ which gave me a better understanding of the permissions. whew.

I am still interested on anyone's thoughts on permissions
Are there specific permissions that you don't accept? I appreciate your help and this communities help very much.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
How concerned should I be about the content of "permissions" on apps in the google play store?

In a word - very - but too few people currently pay attention to what the are giving up then whine when stuff starts happening. Things like "send SMS," "Send emails without owner's knowledge," etc. Terrifying to an old fart that has been programming for 35+ years.

While not a solution, Permission Dog app is a good to have thing.

Nope, nothing to do with them but I very happily use it and with the single exception of Firefox, I keep all the status levels at yellow or green.

I think websites that review and by inference recommend apps, should also publish the list of Permissions. If not publish at least take them into consideration when assigning a score to an app.

'Tis a pity that Google saw fit to hastily remove the App Ops from 4.3. I could happily live with some errant apps crashing after **I** removed access to some onerous Permissions.

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I like Shopsavvy as a barcode scanner/shopping helper, though it does have it's quirks: seems like especially over the last year it's gotten a bit hard to find the things I want, since a single item (say, a certain video game I'm shopping for) will have many different product entries in the shopping database. However, if you have the product in front of you to scan the barcode, that will always bring up the exact item for comparison.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.biggu.shopsavvy&hl=en&token=Tb1FB3aQ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37