Encrypting Moto G

Ding Dong2

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Is there any performance drops when having encryption on with the Moto G?

Is there any bugs/glitches with Android encryption and how secure is it? (AES-256 etc.)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Encryption Warnings
Before you enable encryption, be aware that there are some drawbacks:

Slower Performance: Encryption always adds some overhead, so your device will be a bit slower. The actual speed decrease depends on your phone’s hardware.
Encryption is One-Way Only: After encrypting your device’s storage, you can only disable encryption by resetting your phone to its factory default settings. This will also erase all the data stored on your phone, so you’ll have to set it up from scratch.
Not everyone should enable encryption, as it will do more harm than good for many people. If you still want to enable encryption, read on.

How to Enable Encryption on Android
Encryption may take an hour or even longer, depending on how much data you have on your device. Plug in your phone and ensure you have enough time before continuing. If you have to interrupt the encryption process, you’ll lose some (or all!) of the data on your phone.

How to Encrypt Your Android Phone and Why You Might Want To

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Is there any performance drops when having encryption on with the Moto G?

Yes, but not really noticeable as the On-The-Fly-Decryption only has to decrypt what you need at the time so it is fractions of a second. Unless of course you are writing the next great Doctor Zhivago novel.

Bugs you will have to find yourself, but it is a very well based system and should not have any major bugs or surprises.

As Gekko states, the first encryption can take quite a while.

Also note that once encrypted it MAY NOT be able to be decrypted for open use again. Sooo, make a full system backup before encryption.

After all that. Why bother? Using a good strong locks-creen-password should be sufficient. I really see full-phone encryption as more of a problem than an asset. Mess up one tiny Bit in the pass-phrase and the stuff is gone forever.

dunxd

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I encrypted my Moto G running 4.4.4 last week. Battery life is about 50% of what it was before. Phone runs hot the whole time. Performance is noticeably slower - not that bad, but noticable.

I could live with the performance hit, but not the battery life and heat in my pocket. Security needs to be traded off against usability, and in this case I find it unacceptable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz