Remove the Google thing at the top of the screen?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I think it may be the Google Now, "OK Google" thing that I never use. Translucent white band with "Google" and microphone icon.

How can I clear that off the screen space? I tried holding to drag it to Remove, but Remove never appeared.

Is it a setting somewhere, am I stuck with it, or what?

Thanks

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I think it may be the Google Now, "OK Google" thing that I never use. Translucent white band with "Google" and microphone icon.

How can I clear that off the screen space? I tried holding to drag it to Remove, but Remove never appeared.

Is it a setting somewhere, am I stuck with it, or what?

Thanks

You need to use a new launcher.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You are kidding right? Am I the only one that reads Permissions before installing an app?

"Directly call phone numbers"

Yup, I'll get right on that to give you (Nova Launcher) permission. :)

Nova would likely need this permission to enable you to click a link on a number and have it automatically call. I'm guessing most launchers have this feature. Without this, the launcher could still send a number to the dialer but the user would have to still press send.

brad4560

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I use nova myself, but have kept the bar, idk why lol, but yes you will need a third party launcher, try some out, you can give your phone a makeover :)

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
The standard launcher has the same permissions you know.

Thanks, but -- if I have to, I'd trust Google a lot more than any others with that ability. Although, I can't find where the Permissions are for the stock Google screen as PermissionsDog only shows those for apps I have installed.

It's about time Google reinstated that fleeting 4.3 option to block Permissions at run time. I can live with it crashing an app for the slight increase in security knowing to whom and what I am giving up more of my privacy.

Privacy is pretty much thing of the past as it is, I just like to cling to what I can that's left of it. :)

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
You are kidding right? Am I the only one that reads Permissions before installing an app?

Some people are way too paranoid over permissions. If it were a fly by night developer okay, but to apply that paranoia to all third party developers as if they were all shady is going a bit overboard.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

"Only used if you place a direct dial shortcut."

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1390860981353.jpg
    1390860981353.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
@ baldpaul:
Thanks, OK, found it. Will know to look there in future before posting. Even so, the short list of Permissions is about half the other Launcher. I'll live with the Google at the top. Besides, just got my code for the $299 X!

@ GadgetGator:
I may be paranoid and I am OK with that - but - how do you know if it is a fly by night or not?

Take for instance the Chrome Extensions that were sold and bloated with malware just last week. Until Google enforces the single role, of apps and extensions, those poor folks who got hit with the loaded extensions will be wishing they were a little more paranoid. :)

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
@ baldpaul:
Thanks, OK, found it. Will know to look there in future before posting. Even so, the short list of Permissions is about half the other Launcher. I'll live with the Google at the top. Besides, just got my code for the $299 X!

@ GadgetGator:
I may be paranoid and I am OK with that - but - how do you know if it is a fly by night or not?

Take for instance the Chrome Extensions that were sold and bloated with malware just last week. Until Google enforces the single role, of apps and extensions, those poor folks who got hit with the loaded extensions will be wishing they were a little more paranoid. :)

Developers that have been doing things for a long time, developers that don't have people complaining about them harvesting their data, reviews... Lots of ways. If someone is so paranoid that they can't trust a well regarded developer than I question how they can even use a Google platform device considering their advertising motivation not to mention the whole NSA data collection thing. In other words, a well regarded developer is the least of your problems.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
When it comes to well known 3rd party launchers like Nova or GO Launcher, these have been around for a long time now and have earned the respect of the community for their work. Looking at their download count alone says volumes, if it wasn't trustworthy it wouldn't have those type of numbers.

But never the less it is good to keep an eye on what permissions are being asked when you install a new app.

Comerman

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings, Apps, swipe right to left twice to see All apps and find Launcher and its in there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I found it here but the only option is o force stop and clear data/cache but the "thing" remains at the top of the home screen.

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I found it here but the only option is o force stop and clear data/cache but the "thing" remains at the top of the home screen.

My post was related to how to find the permissions for the stock launcher, not a solution for removing the search bar...sorry!

As has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread you have to install an alternative launcher in order to remove the search bar. I use Nova launcher myself (like others on here) and it provides many more features than just being able to remove the search bar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis