Moto G Audio Stopped Working Without Warning; Required Restart

cabtattle

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
At some point while I slept last night, my Moto G (running KitKat) decided that I didn't need functional audio. I overslept, missing an appointment, and on waking, I was informed by the phone that I had missed my alarm. I've never missed an alarm before, so I decided to see what my audio settings were. Sure enough, alarm volume was maxed out, but then I noticed that I wasn't getting a little beep on the volume slider when I adjusted the phone volume manually. Going to YouTube, I realized the phone wasn't transmitting sound at all. Using my expert IT knowledge, I turned it off and on, and it has worked since.

The problem? I can't trust this thing now. I don't know what caused this issue, and while it's working for the time being, I can't rely on it for incoming calls to be audible, or for my alarms –*for anything requiring audio, really. Since it managed to do this last night without me interfering, how am I to know when it'll do this again? There was no warning of this problem. I never did anything to change the audio settings, and indeed, they were all at full volume. The only thing I did that made any difference either way was restart the phone to fix the issue.

If anyone has experience with this issue, please let me know. Just last night, I was raving about how wonderful the Moto G is for a budget phone. Today, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. This is an intolerable flaw.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

It's unfortunate to hear about this issue you had last night. All I can suggest is to make sure the volume is set all the way up via Settings > Sounds. Also, your recent issue could possibly have been caused by an App. Did you install anything just before going to bed or during the day?

Lastly, it could been a onetime incident. Though, can certainly understand your frustration since you seem to have missed some appointments as a result.

cabtattle

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Volume was maxed out, and I quadruple-checked that / played with the volume settings prior to powering the phone off and on again, after which point it worked. No new apps were installed yesterday. I'll keep checking the thread in the hopes that someone else has had this issue, and in the meantime, I'll just keep an eye on it. If it does it again, I'll get a new phone. So frustrating, though. I loved this thing when I first got it.

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick thought but I wonder if the Media Server service is used to play sounds like it is used to play "media" and whether or not it had "crashed". Do you use an App Killer and had you used it prior to going to sleep? If so you may have inadvertently stopped media player but I would have thought it would just restart itself anyway.

So its all just guesswork but thought I'd mention it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

cabtattle

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. There's no app killer on my phone, though. I keep trying to guess at which of the apps I use might have caused this. I don't think any of my apps even updated before I lost sound last night, so it's a mystery to me so far.

Richard Brocklesby

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I just had the same issue.
It happened in the middle of talk-to-texting an SMS message. One sentence it was fine, then nothing.
Suddenly there was no sign of the phone hearing anything (no pulsing red circle).
Also all playback sound went away.

It's never happened before. The only new thing was installing skype this morning. (12 hrs ago)

A restart fixed it.

Last edited:

Ivo-p

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Well you know it is normal that some software functions crash from time to time. I'd say you had an unfortunate crash.

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

Sai Charan3

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey man I got the exact same problem with my Moto g.. I have no idea wat to do.. It's an amazing phone but then this thing happened... But I do remember that a little bit of water touched my phone the first time it happened... But that shud not make the speakers go off like that.. And restarting does fix it temporarily so it's a software fault I guess
Someone please help us here.. I really hate it when it happens

Danny Fritz

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
My audio has stopped working a little too frequently lately too. Not sure what is causing it either. :(

I just turned off Nova Launcher's OK Google hotword detection because I have a hunch it is that. Will try to remember to report back in a week or so if that fixes it for me.

EDIT: Been 4 days and I haven't had problems after disabling hot word detection on the nova prime home screen.

EDIT2: Been close enough to a month since this happened so I'm going to attribute my problem to Nova Launcher's Google Now feature.

Last edited:

vivek126

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I too faced the similar issue. What I found that the "Volume" settings stops working once this issue occur. Dont know of solution, I restarted my phone and it worked. Maybe software glitch.

Bookrt

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I just had this happen too. I have noticed that when you remove headphones when playing audio that the audio stays shut off and volume has to be turned on again manually. However, the last time this happened I turned the volume all the way up and no sound. Plugged headphones back in and still no sound. Rebooted and worked just fine. I really hope this doesn't happen when I need the alarm to wake up, that would be a disaster.

LiasKwerkLooi

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I have this disappearing audio since last Thursday and it's driving me mad. I have a Moto G on 4.4.2 unrooted and out of the blue it started having issues with sound. At first I noticed that when I picked up the phone the other caller could hear the ambient sounds from my side but as soon as I started talking, my voice would be cut off. I could hear nothing and after a while the other caller's voice would come through but would also get cut a few times. I then noticed that when I play videoclips in youtube there's no sound from the back speaker. If I put the headphone jack in and out then the sound comes (so the speaker is functioning) and after 2-3 seconds it is silent again. Volume buttons do nothing when the sound is silenced (either call or app sounds), they show that I'm increasing the volume but the sound is still silenced. Up to now, the alarms ring normally though. This must be a software glitch in the system and I can't get rid of it by rebooting, safe mode, erasing cache partition, changing the runtime from Dalvik to ART, disabling GoogleNow... Any ideas?

Wiki Dasandhi

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I have this disappearing audio since last Thursday and it's driving me mad. I have a Moto G on 4.4.2 unrooted and out of the blue it started having issues with sound. At first I noticed that when I picked up the phone the other caller could hear the ambient sounds from my side but as soon as I started talking, my voice would be cut off. I could hear nothing and after a while the other caller's voice would come through but would also get cut a few times. I then noticed that when I play videoclips in youtube there's no sound from the back speaker. If I put the headphone jack in and out then the sound comes (so the speaker is functioning) and after 2-3 seconds it is silent again. Volume buttons do nothing when the sound is silenced (either call or app sounds), they show that I'm increasing the volume but the sound is still silenced. Up to now, the alarms ring normally though. This must be a software glitch in the system and I can't get rid of it by rebooting, safe mode, erasing cache partition, changing the runtime from Dalvik to ART, disabling GoogleNow... Any ideas?

I am having a problem with my motog sound ...yesterday i tried to connect it into my woofer a screech sound came ..I thot might be my woofer is not working... But as soon as i tried to play music from my phone speaker ssound was not coming properly...its getting stop

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryyrraL

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
This happened to me after connecting my Sony headphones and pressing that little button to see if Google Play Music recognize it. To resolve the problem I just reconnect them. play some music and everything it's back to normal...

Lee Matthews1

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem with the Moto G, too. No matter what volume settings I have for ringtones, notifications etc, any app that updates can change them - always to lower volume settings. I frequently miss calls as a result. The problem is that an app's permissions take priority over YOUR volume settings. It would be a good idea if Motorola changed this so our settings had priority.

kartik thakker

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
i am facing this same problem very often atleast once in a day..its irritating mw now.. all sounds goes off even the alarm . can anyone help me with solution .

Adnan Javed

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue as OP, unfortnately mine required muiltiple restarts before it started working again. Hasn't happened since. Hopefully never does.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Please help i made an account just for this problem i have it the exact same the audio only works with headphones and ita really becoming bad coz i lost the audio twice in a day and i had to turn it off 2 times help i dont wanna get late for school