Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gtanner00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Novice Android user

Hi folks I'm relatively new to android so need a few questions answered please.
    1. Emoji & group texts are not an option with kitkat at the moment so what's the best app to replace the stock sms?? I need one that text recipients DON'T need to have installed to get my texts.
    2. My phone vibrates when powered on and off, motorola say it always did that but I think it just started after kitkat, can it be disabled?
    I think that's it
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-09-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Novice android user

Welcome to Android Central
    1. I think Textra should do the trick. You just need to install the emoji plug-in
    2. Every phone has this. It can't be disabled

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Cheers UJ95x, great forum. I installed textra + emoji which did the trick BUT when I enter emoji in a text thew show in the sent text etc but they are not visible on the text the recipient gets i.e only text wording is visible. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Comerman View Post
    Cheers UJ95x, great forum. I installed textra + emoji which did the trick BUT when I enter emoji in a text thew show in the sent text etc but they are not visible on the text the recipient gets i.e only text wording is visible. Any ideas?
    Android does not natively support emoji below version 4.4. That means that if you send a message to someone who doesn't have KitKat they won't be able to see it.

Hope that helps you. You can instead however use smilies like : ) (with no space in between)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Above post got it perfectly
    It'll only work if they have Kit Kat

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gtanner00 View Post
    Android does not natively support emoji below version 4.4. That means that if you send a message to someone who doesn't have KitKat they won't be able to see it.

Hope that helps you. You can instead however use smilies like : ) (with no space in between)

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but yet another reason why I bitterly regret updating from JB
    Putting out fire with gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post
    Apologies for going slightly off topic, but yet another reason why I bitterly regret updating from JB
    Why? Jellybean has no emoji support for receiving them. What I mean is you would be able to send them with a keyboard but nobody would be able to read them. You've gained the ability to receive emoji with kitkat.

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Why? Jellybean has no emoji support for receiving them. What I mean is you would be able to send them with a keyboard but nobody would be able to read them. You've gained the ability to receive emoji with kitkat.

I did say I was going off topic and re-reading my post I should have stated that I was more referring to smilies in general.

Nearly all my friends are on iOS, but on KK when they add a smilie they no longer appear in picture form but in characters. I'm not personally that fussed about smilies in messaging, but it would be nice if they appeared in a form that I could at least understand!
    Putting out fire with gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post
    I did say I was going off topic and re-reading my post I should have stated that I was more referring to smilies in general.

Nearly all my friends are on iOS, but on KK when they add a smilie they no longer appear in picture form but in characters. I'm not personally that fussed about smilies in messaging, but it would be nice if they appeared in a form that I could at least understand!
    Right. Im honestly not one to use smilies very much other than the basic ones and I would never use emoji. Just don't see the point

Sizzers likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Right. Im honestly not one to use smilies very much other than the basic ones and I would never use emoji. Just don't see the point

That's my issue here, I had those "ugly" green ones before KK and was happy enough but after KK I had a lovely big selection of smilies,flowers etc. BUT none will work. I need smilies or something to let people know when I'm joking
    Thanked by:

That's my issue here, I had those "ugly" green ones before KK and was happy enough but after KK I had a lovely big selection of smilies,flowers etc. BUT none will work. I need smilies or something to let people know when I'm joking
    Hi Comerman,
    You're right there is a problem with emoticons/emoji in KitKat Moto G. I don't think it's anything to do with the phone you're sending messages to, if you send yourself a text message( send your own number a text) with an emoticon it won't show up.
    I don't know if it's a KitKat issue or just KitKat on Moto G issue...I'm sure somebody else posted about this, and they mentioned contacting Motorola who knew it was an issue and were working on a fix.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful...convince your friends to install Whatsapp, lots of emoticons.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvinder Sunila View Post
    Hi Comerman,
    You're right there is a problem with emoticons/emoji in KitKat Moto G. I don't think it's anything to do with the phone you're sending messages to, if you send yourself a text message( send your own number a text) with an emoticon it won't show up.
    I don't know if it's a KitKat issue or just KitKat on Moto G issue...I'm sure somebody else posted about this, and they mentioned contacting Motorola who knew it was an issue and were working on a fix.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful...convince your friends to install Whatsapp, lots of emoticons.
    It must be. A moto g issue then. I don't actually own one so I tried sending the emoticons and emoji to my own number on my KitKat nexus 4 and it worked like a charm. Not sure what is going on with motorola.

Other than the emoticons & emoji keyboard, you can try to use some extra emoticons app or emoji app.
    For example:
    CUTE EMOTICONS - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....cuteemoticons
    CUTE EMOJI - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...udio.cuteemoji

It may helps a lot in communication and SMS.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    It'll only work if they have Kit Kat

This seems to be the reason behind some text recipients not getting emoji sent in texts which I think is a bit ridiculous, not everyone has an up to date smartphone, Just give me back the ugly green ones I used before KK an they'll do.

I just tested mine by sending to my own Moto G and it works fine but only via Hangouts SMS service.