SIM card reader ruined on my Moto G - can it be repaired?

Scratchyjam

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Virgin Media UK and they don't provide micro SIMs anymore so I'm forced to use a micro SIM adapter and I'm 99.9% sure this has corrupted the metal prongs in the SIM card tray on my Moto G and obviously now my SIM card doesn't work.

Can this be fixed by Motorola (or even Phones4u) or is it completely ruined?

So annoyed because I love my Moto G and if it wasn't for Virgin and their ****ty adapters I wouldn't have had such a jumpy experience with it.

Thanks in advance

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sim card reader ruined on my Moto G - can it be repaired?

Many people broke their sim slot pins that way. It's not an easy job to remove and solder a new simslot to the phone unless you have the right tool. You can find some type of repair service that may be able to do it for you.

Or you can call up Motorola and send it in for a repair for a fee.

When you remove the sim adapter, you need to use something to lift the card from the bottom and softly jiggle the adapter left and right while removing it, both of this help for the edges of the adapter not getting caught to the sim slot's contact pins.

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

You should be able to blame the carrier for giving you a Sim adapter that damaged your phone.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Scratchyjam

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

Many people broke their sim slot pins that way. It's not an easy job to remove and solder a new simslot to the phone unless you have the right tool. You can find some type of repair service that may be able to do it for you.

Or you can call up Motorola and send it in for a repair for a fee.

When you remove the sim adapter, you need to use something to lift the card from the bottom and softly jiggle the adapter left and right while removing it, both of this help for the edges of the adapter not getting caught to the sim slot's contact pins.

Cheers for the advice.

Yeah was thinking of getting it repaired by Motorola as opposed to doing it myself. Are you sure it will be free?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Cheers for the advice.

Yeah was thinking of getting it repaired by Motorola as opposed to doing it myself. Are you sure it will be free?

No, I said for a fee, not for free. Last time I got Samsung to do it for me it was $80.

Scratchyjam

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

No, I said for a fee, not for free. Last time I got Samsung to do it for me it was $80.

Right you are. Sorry, I misread that.

I'll give them a ring sometime then and get it sorted

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781