Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto g, go for it?

Hi,
    I'm looking for a budget phone for my sister, i was looking into the Moto g.
    There are two things i wanted to know:
    A. Is the camera good enough, She take a lot of pictures.
    B. Do you think the lenovo purchase can effect future updates?

And of course will u recommend it?

Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Default Re: Moto g, go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by dorblayzer View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!

A. what's her baseline for smartphone photos?

Android Central's Moto G review (Camera): Moto G review | Android Central

B. I don't think it will. Others may disagree. There is no concrete evidence either way.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I say why not? Decent phone for the price.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by 2:
    dorblayzerRy 
    Ry likes this.

You won't find a better value, but the camera may not be good enough for her depending on what she's looking for.

A quote from the above linked article:

But let's face it — if you're buying a Moto G, it's probably not for the camera. The fact that it can take good photos some of the time is a bonus, but realistically it makes more sense to prioritize the display and processor over cameras on a budget handset, just as Motorola has done here.
    Thanked by:

The camera is good enough for my needs. Some don't like it (may even hate it) but it is fine for me. Obviously, suitability would be different for each user.

I don't think Lenovo spent billions to screw up this product. I suspect it will be updated in the future.
    Thanked by 2:

The camera is awful and won't cut it if she takes anything more than a few snaps in the pub/club or w/e. It will even suck there too because it fails hard in low light ..
    I would definitely not recommend the Moto G for anyone who likes to use their camera a lot. That said, if she wants a good camera on a smartphone she won't get one at all for this price anyway. So bear that in mind.
    It smokes the competition at almost everything else though. The 720p screen is lush for watching youtube and h264 tv/movies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dorblayzer View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!

camera is absolutely rubbish. but it has a front facing cam too, which is 1.3 mp and is pretty good as front cams come. for skype and stuff, its good, the back cam is 5mp. having said that it will work fine outside in full light, any camera would. indoors, no. but it does have by default a mode where if you keep the screen pressed in cam mode it will take continuous photos. so if you get out of the habit of taking one single pic which people do sometimes like they would on old camera with film reels, then you wont get good results. take 20 pics and one would come nice indoors.

Hehe I always forget that forward facing cam but yes it is a cool bonus you really shouldn't get at this price point. I agree with schmotog about it being pretty good too. Its great to let people see you in Skype - I had a call with my kid the other day from Sri Lanka to UK over wifi and it was really special. Made my day. I never realized how neat it would be to see people and for them to see you. Its really a big plus.

For pics I just carry a Fuji Fine Pix snapper which does the job of taking good high quality snaps and is small enough to fit in to a coat pocket when I am out and about. I find faffing with the phone cam in the cold/wet a major hassle anyway. Obviously less of an issue if you live somewhere warm and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kreese View Post
    Hehe I always forget that forward facing cam but yes it is a cool bonus you really shouldn't get at this price point. I agree with schmotog about it being pretty good too. Its great to let people see you in Skype - I had a call with my kid the other day from Sri Lanka to UK over wifi and it was really special. Made my day. I never realized how neat it would be to see people and for them to see you. Its really a big plus.

For pics I just carry a Fuji Fine Pix snapper which does the job of taking good high quality snaps and is small enough to fit in to a coat pocket when I am out and about. I find faffing with the phone cam in the cold/wet a major hassle anyway. Obviously less of an issue if you live somewhere warm and dry.
    Same here nothing like a good old camera, mainly cause you see phone cameras have fixed lenses, so anything zooming in or out is done digitally, not optically, and digitally is really just making pixels bigger, might as well take the pic and make it bigger on your pc. With a normal camera not only do you have that optical zoom but more light enters due to the size of the lens, exposure i believe its called. That's why professional camera lenses are huge. I mean really if you must use the phone as the camera i would still suggest moto g as it supports usb otg, you could technically just hook it up with a simple usb otg cable to your camera (it does hook up to my canon ixus 105) and transfer and see pics as they are taken on your camera. You could theoretically i would say turn your digital camera into a wifi camera by attaching it to your moto g and then running some software (cant say havent tried, but would be possible) to control your camera over the internet even! Talking about the wet weather, another great thing about moto g, it's pretty much waterproof, some guy put it in a sink for 2 minutes on youtube, still worked, even the screen.