Charging while in use?

cgavin1

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Does the G have some circuitry to know when its on mains power? I ask because I plan to use mine in the car as a primary GPS device for many hours each day and I don't want to booger the battery by introducing an endless charge/deplete conflict. :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Does the G have some circuitry to know when its on mains power? I ask because I plan to use mine in the car as a primary GPS device for many hours each day and I don't want to booger the battery by introducing an endless charge/deplete conflict. :)

Welcome to Android Central :)
You can use it while plugged in. It's not good for the battery in the long run but I wouldn't let that stop you from using it

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would simply unplug it when it is full then charge when needed. You will go through more charge cycles, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

cgavin1

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Awesome thanks for the swift replies! One more question I would like to ask (and forgive me if its been answered already as I am sure it has been asked) is has anyone got a link to some teardown info/pics; specifically with regard to removing the battery?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Awesome thanks for the swift replies! One more question I would like to ask (and forgive me if its been answered already as I am sure it has been asked) is has anyone got a link to some teardown info/pics; specifically with regard to removing the battery?

Not sure. You might be able to find a YouTube video on it but I haven't seen an instruction list or guide on how to do it.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Not sure. You might be able to find a YouTube video on it but I haven't seen an instruction list or guide on how to do it.

i remember reading somewhere it has 8 screws somewhere, no idea where. thing is they've sealed it to make it waterproof, or water resistant, so you might lose that ability if you tamper with it.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

that's an oldschool myth from days of nokia 3210, those nicad batteries i believe they were called. lithium batteries should have no problem being on main all the time. i played real racing 3 for 2 hours the other day while on usb. i noticed in the end the battery was full. i guess it just takes power from main when connected instead of using battery at all.

cgavin1

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info Shmotog. Yeah I guess given the impressive sales stats for these units and the fact they are so comparatively cheap, we'll see loads of hardware hacking and retooling material in the near future. Replacing the battery is something everyone wants to know how to do I am sure. I am not buying a new phone in 18 months lol.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info Shmotog. Yeah I guess given the impressive sales stats for these units and the fact they are so comparatively cheap, we'll see loads of hardware hacking and retooling material in the near future. Replacing the battery is something everyone wants to know how to do I am sure. I am not buying a new phone in 18 months lol.

i have an old motorola whose battery lasted 7 years. i used it for 7 years!
moto g has one of the best batteries as they come in smartphones nowadays. i dont think youll need to replace it for the next 3 years.
in the end when you need to replace as you said someone would come up with a tutorial but if they dont you could always get a cheap damaged one from ebay and open it up yourself and see how the battery can be removed and then do the same properly with your own phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1