Verizon Moto G vs Motorola Moto G, Activation Nag?

bigmac11

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying the Moto G and was wondering a few things.
#1 would there be any penalty for buying the phone from Best Buy for $99 versus elsewhere for $179? It seems like a no brainer but I'm a newbie and want to know the facts.

#2 my use of the phone would be making calls via wifi and gaming. I have zero plans on activating it as I'm disabled and at home 99.9% of the time. Would I encounter any problems using it this way? IE is there a lock/nag screen on startup asking for a contract that cannot be bypassed?

I just got my first phone a few weeks back (Tracfone ZTE Valet) and while it works pretty good as a phone it really cannot do much more. The wifi is absolutely horrible and most apps either crawl along or cause the phone to freeze up.

Thanks in advance :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Couple questions

I'm thinking about buying the Moto G and was wondering a few things.
#1 would there be any penalty for buying the phone from Best Buy for $99 versus elsewhere for $179? It seems like a no brainer but I'm a newbie and want to know the facts.

#2 my use of the phone would be making calls via wifi and gaming. I have zero plans on activating it as I'm disabled and at home 99.9% of the time. Would I encounter any problems using it this way? IE is there a lock/nag screen on startup asking for a contract that cannot be bypassed?

I just got my first phone a few weeks back (Tracfone ZTE Valet) and while it works pretty good as a phone it really cannot do much more. The wifi is absolutely horrible and most apps either crawl along or cause the phone to freeze up.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forums.
The $99 version may be a prepaid phone. The $179 is unlocked and can be used on most carriers. The $179 version is the 8GB version I believe, and that will have about 4 GB of space to use (the Android OS takes up roughly 4 GB). This may be limiting if you download a lot of games. This may be a deciding factor. There is a larger version available on Play. The 16 GB version. The last I checked it was out of stock. I know this may sound like I am trying to talk you OUT of the Moto G, but I am not. Many reviewers say this is an excellent phone for the price. I just want you to know more things before finding something out the hard way. I know someone who has a G and they really like it, and agree it is a good phone for the price point.

Wifi calls are going to be changing later this year (roughly April/May). Some Voice Over Internet Provider apps (VoiP) are being affected by the changed Google is going to make. As to what these changes are, I do not know.

You may be able to use the G on the Tracfone network. An easy way to find out would be to look up the specs of the phone on Wikipedia, and find out what bands and frequencies Tracfone uses.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, ask away! Someone is always willing to help.

bigmac11

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to the forums.
The $99 version may be a prepaid phone. The $179 is unlocked and can be used on most carriers. The $179 version is the 8GB version I believe, and that will have about 4 GB of space to use (the Android OS takes up roughly 4 GB). This may be limiting if you download a lot of games. This may be a deciding factor. There is a larger version available on Play. The 16 GB version. The last I checked it was out of stock. I know this may sound like I am trying to talk you OUT of the Moto G, but I am not. Many reviewers say this is an excellent phone for the price. I just want you to know more things before finding something out the hard way. I know someone who has a G and they really like it, and agree it is a good phone for the price point.

Wifi calls are going to be changing later this year (roughly April/May). Some Voice Over Internet Provider apps (VoiP) are being affected by the changed Google is going to make. As to what these changes are, I do not know.

You may be able to use the G on the Tracfone network. An easy way to find out would be to look up the specs of the phone on Wikipedia, and find out what bands and frequencies Tracfone uses.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, ask away! Someone is always willing to help.

First thank you for the welcome and the reply. So if I'm not using a carrier I should be safe with the Best Buy version as long as its functional w/o being activated? It's not going to be locked so I cannot use it correct?

I've read a few different opinions on how Googles changes will affect wifi calling but it looks like there will be something comparable available. I called Tracfone and was told that the Moto G was not able to use their plan. If that would have been the case I would have been one happy camper. My actual calling usage will probably be around 3 hours per month so it makes no sense to get a monthly plan especially when my very limited income doesn't allow many luxuries.

Thanks again.

alfick3

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

First thank you for the welcome and the reply. So if I'm not using a carrier I should be safe with the Best Buy version as long as its functional w/o being activated? It's not going to be locked so I cannot use it correct?

I've read a few different opinions on how Googles changes will affect wifi calling but it looks like there will be something comparable available. I called Tracfone and was told that the Moto G was not able to use their plan. If that would have been the case I would have been one happy camper. My actual calling usage will probably be around 3 hours per month so it makes no sense to get a monthly plan especially when my very limited income doesn't allow many luxuries.

Thanks again.

Some off the things I've read about the Bestbuy one, is that it's for Verizon pre-paid, so there is an annoying bit about them wanting you to sign up for a pre-paid account. If you buy from Moto directly, or from Amazon, you won't have that 'cause it is unlocked. The Bestbuy one is locked to Verizon.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks again.

At the absolute worst, you can use the G as a WiFi device to browse the web, email, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

bigmac11

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Well I came home empty handed :( Was told by 2 employees and the manager that I could not purchase the phone w/o a prepaid Verizon plan. I tried arguing that its not specified on their website nor any other that I looked at. All 3 basically told me to pound sand even though I have spent a considerable amount of cash with them in the past year.

So back to the drawing board or I may just buy a tablet and forget about the phone? I'm really po'ed at the moment and am going to email BB HQ to complain and see if they will help me out.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Well I came home empty handed :( Was told by 2 employees and the manager that I could not purchase the phone w/o a prepaid Verizon plan. I tried arguing that its not specified on their website nor any other that I looked at. All 3 basically told me to pound sand even though I have spent a considerable amount of cash with them in the past year.

So back to the drawing board or I may just buy a tablet and forget about the phone? I'm really po'ed at the moment and am going to email BB HQ to complain and see if they will help me out.

You can buy a tablet. Most can be purchased as a WiFi unit only.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A question: be it a phone or a tablet, what would you do with it? Search the web? Email? I might have a better suggestion based on your reply.

bigmac11

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
A question: be it a phone or a tablet, what would you do with it? Search the web? Email? I might have a better suggestion based on your reply.

As I mentioned I'm disabled so I spend hours sitting in Dr's offices and need to pass time. It would be used for gaming, email and browsing. I have a pc and a laptop but I want something more portable.

Best Buy emailed me back with a number to call so I maybe able to get the Moto G after all :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned I'm disabled so I spend hours sitting in Dr's offices and need to pass time. It would be used for gaming, email and browsing. I have a pc and a laptop but I want something more portable.

Best Buy emailed me back with a number to call so I maybe able to get the Moto G after all :)

Good luck with the G!

rldflorida

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I went to Best Buy last week and was told I needed to sign up for a Verizon plan to make the Moto G work. I happened to go by another Best Buy and stopped in and asked if that was true. Guess what? Not true. I bought the Moto G without setting up a plan at all. The clerk set the phone up for me in the store and I got a phone number immediately without having to pay Verizon anything. I've been using the phone wifi only. I use GrooveIP app to make calls through my Google Voice account and it works great. I use text+ for sending SMS. That works great also. The only downside I see with the Verizon version is there is no SIM card at all. The phone is locked to Verizon. But I don't care. To get such a nice phone for $99 without a plan is fine with me.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

try other bestbuy store like the poster above mentioned.

you dont need a plan. also you could try ordering it online and opt for store pickup.

that should do it

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Ry has a great suggestion if a tablet will work for you size-wise and Woot! isn't sold out yet.

You could also try a different Best Buy if you want a Moto G. I bought a Verizon Moto G at Best Buy without activating it in-store. You will get nags if it's not activated but they're an annoyance rather than a wall.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

You can pay $2.99/mo for Skype (unlimited US calling). I'm sure the Moto G will make a decent media device.

Another option is a Lumia 520/521 as these can be had for under $60-$70. This is has a user replaceable battery and microSD support up to 64 GB. The Lumias can be used as a GPS device by downloading maps. No internet/data connection needed. However, the gaming experience may not be as good as the Moto G. Also, whether it's important to you, no front facing camera on the Lumias. Windows Phone 8 is a pretty good OS, and looks to be much better with the upcoming upgrade to 8.1. However, if you are an Android/Google app person, the Moto G may be better for you.

I have a Nexus 5 and Lumia 520. I like them both, and prefer Android. The Lumia has a lot of bang for the buck.

Hawnz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If buying from Best Buy, tell them it is a gift. Has worked for me in the past.

Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app