Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrMoto1992
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chrome is taking so much RAM

I love this phone, but it seems the 1 gig of RAM has its downfall.

I have noticed that while I am browsing the web, chrome takes a crazy amount of ram, sometimes kicking off even my home screen, forcing it to redraw when I exit.

Is there any way to change it so Chrome uses less ram? If not, is there a lightweight browser anyone would recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my super awesome moto g.
    Converted007 likes this.

Default Re: Chrome is taking so much RAM

I'm not on a Moto G (I'm still using a GNEX, same RAM), but I'm also getting frustrated with the Chrome mobile browser. Same stuff happens to me, but doesn't seem to be a problem using the original stock browser or Firefox.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Chrome is one of the more memory hungry browsers. You can use Opera or Opera mini browsers

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    unopepito06 likes this.

Yeah it's crazy, Kit Kat is now designed to run lighter and faster on lower-end phones, but then they make Chrome the stock browser out-of-the-box, which is such a memory hog that even my Badass Nexus 7 2013 chokes up sometimes. I recommend trying some of the more well-liked (I mean better ) browsers out there and finding something you like, aesthetically and functionally. You've already got one good suggestion!^^^
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by unopepito06 View Post
    Yeah it's crazy, Kit Kat is now designed to run lighter and faster on lower-end phones, but then they make Chrome the stock browser out-of-the-box, which is such a memory hog that even my Badass Nexus 7 2013 chokes up sometimes. I recommend trying some of the more well-liked (I mean better ) browsers out there and finding something you like, aesthetically and functionally. You've already got one good suggestion!^^^
    Opera seems to be perfect. I guess the only downside is not being able to sync my bookmarks anymore

Sent from my super awesome moto g.

I use chrome and have not had any issues. It does have a large memory and cache footprint but I have not had the issues you describe. I wonder, how many apps are you running? It would have to be pretty busy on your device to cause the Home screen to swap lol.

Default Chrome is taking so much RAM

Have the same issues like the topicstarter. I downloaded the dolphin browser, pretty neat and clean and faster too!

Maybe thats a solution for now...

Not a problem with the phone, but the app. Give Naked Browser a try.