Moto G Bands Compared to Other Phones

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Just to elaborate so this isn't a repeat thread I understand the the GSM moto g covers us bands. I understand the the Moto G US and Global model are slightly different.

I'm someone who isn't really knowledgeable with bands.

My alcatel one touch fierce covers.
Network: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 UMTS 850/1900/AWS

Galaxy Note 3:
Network: 700 (band 17), 800 (band 18), 850 (band 5), 900 (band 8), 1700/2100 (band 4), 1800 (band 3), 1900 (band 2) MHz

Moto X:
LTE: 700 (band 13), 850 (band 5), 1700/2100 (band 4), 1900 (band 2) MHz
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS: 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz

Moto G:
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS: 850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz

I wish I knew more about bands but i don't. My assumption is a phone that has more bands, gets better coverage and data speeds. I'm sure there are many other factors though. My theory is that because I have the alcatel one touch fierce which doesn't have the best bands, I don't get the best speed where I live. Outside, speeds are 4G and fast. But inside, sometimes I get 4G against a window or just inside. But it sort of flickers. I'm wondering if I have a phone that supports more bands or even LTE (even though where I live doesn't support LTE just 4G) I'll get better reception inside. But i'm not entirely sure. If the moto g came out first I would have bought it. It sucks it doesn't have 4G or NFC, but it's fast, gets updates regularly, and works better then mine I have no problem with that.

Mine did work fast for a while, but then it crapped out on me. It lags so damn much I can't stand it. I've been spoiled by my Nexus 7 2013 too. It's a beast. Also spoiled with kit kat and google updates. The fact that more phones like the Moto X 2 might come out this year I don't see the point of paying $300-$700 for a phone I might just use for a few months. Especially if it doesn't have kit kat. And there is also the GPE moto g as well.

I've heard that the Moto X has incredible speeds and makes calls better then even some phones like the note 3. And I'm starting to realize that in itself is an important feature. If the speeds are to slow or it can't make calls, it's just an MP3.

From the looks of the Moto G looks similar in terms of bands to the Alcatel One Touch Fierce. Except the UMTS looks a bit different. If someone could explain these bands to me and what they mean I'd appreciate it. Even if the speeds are basically the same, the phone will still be faster, not lag, and have kit kat as well. Also, Moto G supports miracast. I love my miracast adapter with my nexus 7 2013. Ah, I'm becoming a nexus fan now. I'm going to t-mobile today and I figured it's pointless asking them this because they don't sell the moto g.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know the specifics, but it only matters if the bands are used by your carrier. If the band is not used by your carrier then having more bands won't give you better performance or speed on your carrier.

The Moto g doesn't support 4GLTE

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
If you use ATT or Aio Wireless, you will have MUCH faster data speeds. They use the GSM HSPA+ technology, which the moto g has bands for. Its up to 21Mbps download. Or 1.5 MegaBytes. Very fast for 3g

Sent from my super awesome moto g.

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten speeds of over 11Mbps down and over 2Mbps up on AT&T in the Denver area with my Moto G. That's plenty fast for anything I'm doing on my phone. It's almost as fast down as my DSL and is 3x faster on the upload than my DSL.

Who needs an expensive LTE phone?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten speeds of over 11Mbps down and over 2Mbps up on AT&T in the Denver area with my Moto G. That's plenty fast for anything I'm doing on my phone. It's almost as fast down as my DSL and is 3x faster on the upload than my DSL.

Who needs an expensive LTE phone?

11mbps is fine but on Verizon, the g is limited to 3g which is usually 1mbps or less. Also, while the g might serve your needs, others needs may be different.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone. I should have mentioned it's T-Mobile. I talked to the T-Mobile guy and asked him all about bands. He explained.

He also told me because T-Mobile bought some of Verizon's spectrum they will get 700 frequency? Or is it 70? It looks to be Kew LTE spectrum. I found out I have 1900 band where I am. Pockets of it. So nee having good reception is fortunate.

I bought a moto g on amazon a few minutes ago. US GSM Unlocked 16 GB, sim, navy blue shell cover case. I can't wait. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a non nexus like device. Thank God the moto g exists.

Thanks everyone I look forward to my moto g arriving Friday. Now what to do with my Alcatel...

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes tmobile bought some frequency from Verizon but not band 13 which Verizon is currently using. It is band 12,which no current phones support. Lower 700MHz block A I believe

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
11mbps is fine but on Verizon, the g is limited to 3g which is usually 1mbps or less. Also, while the g might serve your needs, others needs may be different.

I'm sorry, I thought it was pretty clear from my post that I was speaking for my own situation, not making an absolute statement for all users on all carriers.Perhaps you could dial it back just a little bit as a moderator?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps you could dial it back just a little bit as a moderator?
Bryan, sorry if you felt the Moderator was being a little to forward or over expressed his views but it is something we encourage the Moderators to get involved and share their experiences and knowledge aside from just monitoring the forums. dpham00 is a very knowledgeable person when it comes to these topics and were happy to have him on the team as well as a contributing member of the community.

However not to be overshadowed we appreciate the input and feedback from YOU and the rest of the community. Everyone's contributions makes things that much better for those who come along and visit these forums and gain knowledge from them.

Have a good day!

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you everyone. I should have mentioned it's T-Mobile. I talked to the T-Mobile guy and asked him all about bands. He explained.

He also told me because T-Mobile bought some of Verizon's spectrum they will get 700 frequency? Or is it 70? It looks to be Kew LTE spectrum. I found out I have 1900 band where I am. Pockets of it. So nee having good reception is fortunate.

I bought a moto g on amazon a few minutes ago. US GSM Unlocked 16 GB, sim, navy blue shell cover case. I can't wait. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a non nexus like device. Thank God the moto g exists.

Thanks everyone I look forward to my moto g arriving Friday. Now what to do with my Alcatel...

Posted via Android Central App

Basically, if you're going to use a Moto G on T-Mobile, buy the US GSM model unless you're going to travel outside of the country. If you use the Global GSM model on T-Mobile and you're not in an area where T-Mobile has "re-farmed" their 1900 MHz spectrum for 3G use, you'll be stuck on the slower EDGE speeds.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2