Moto G Wifi Issues

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
facing wifi connectivity issues with moto g ..android version 4.4.2..wifi connection is good near router or for line of sight but when i go to my room..the signal strength almost drops completely ...though my previous htc android phone catches excellent wifi signal there..anybody facing similar issue and know the fix for it..?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The wi-fi antennae of different devices may have different sensitivities. My experience with Motorola wi-fi radios is that they were never as good as their cell radios.

Caz42

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Haven't had a problem Rahul, mine works all through the house no problem and even picks up wifi from a neighbour 3 doors away.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a data plan active on my Moto-G so it's is wifi only and no issues so far. However, I haven't done the OS upgrade because "if it aint broke..."

Jerry822

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
On my Moto G I couldn't connect to Wifi at all on my home system. I went to the Motorola web site and on their forum they have a chat. I started a chat and they gave me a procedure to Clear the Cache Partition. This doesn't affect any of your software, or any changes of any kind that you have made. After using this procedure of which it does say that you should see a screen come up, of which I never did see it and I tried it 3 times. But when I booted up and went into to Wifi mine was connected and stayed connected. I then powered the phone down and backup and went it Wifi again and it was still connected. I have had a solid connected for over an hour now and before I could not connect at all except using WPS. I'm now very happy with Wifi and I have Xfinity at 30 meg so on the Moto G, and it's fast. I checked my software and other things that I added and I could not find a problem. You may want to give this a try.

To Resolve Wifi Connection Problem

How do I clear Cache Partition on my device?

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.
4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)
5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key
Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.
6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)
7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option
8. The device will then perform the partition wipe
9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Jerry822

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the phone for about 9 hours now and the phone has been connected to Wifi the whole time without dropping. I'm satisfied that the Clear Cache Partition fixed the problem.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Might be worth checking out something like https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=net.metageek&token=2NanoSlY to see if you can optimise channel selection on your router. Also check for router firmware updates. Really silly little things like moving the router a few inches or spinning it round slightly can make loads of difference. Or it might just be that the Moto G wifi chip doesn't like your router (not all routers are made equal). Turning off Wifi optimisation on your Moto G (Wifi Settings, Advanced) might help it get on better with some routers.

I don't think the Moto G in general has an issue. My phone picks up my home SSID from about 150 yards down the street and has a long list of my neighbours networks detected at all times.

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion..i am thinking of getting by device replaced as its still under 30 days replacement warranty. Coz if Moto G in general is not having an issue then perhaps i might not face any issue with the new device.

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
flipkart replaced it soon..but still the signal shows weak..but the good thing is that i have observed very good browsing and downloading speed on wifi even though the signal shows weak..i was unnecessarily getting worried..there's nothing wrong with the device its just that the wifi signal display shows less even when i am getting brilliant speed...i saw this thing on many sony handsets too..happy with my moto g!!

Trevor_H211

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've tried this reset routine and get so far, but I can't see an option for Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and the POWER Key to select this option. If I press the vol up button the phone reboots as normal. Is it under another option.
I have
Normal Powerup
Recovery
Factory
Switch COnsole [Null:null]
Barcodes
and BP Tools

James Wald

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
There are two steps. First you select Recovery by pressing VOL UP, then you have to press vol + power keys while Recovery is booting. This will reveal a second menu which has the option to wipe the cache partition.

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have got Moto E and am able to connect to my wifi and it is working nicely from day one whether the signal is weak,strong.I wanted to go for moto g now I have to think twice.The same problem however persists with XOLO Q600S/Celkon/Slice/Swipe tablet and no help from any quarter.Other android devices like samsung galaxy,lenovo are getting connected with wifi from day one

Turi Adrian

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
The problem of Wi-Fi on moto G with the new lollipop update can be solved by changing the channel of router from 13 to 10!!!
Lollipop has problem with chanels 12,13