Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto G: How can I repartition cache and re-allocate the free space to the data partition

Hi.

I don't know if you have noticed, but the Moto G comes with an useless cache partition with 652 MB of space. This is a lot of space for a smartphone that comes with only 5GB of usable space. The cache partiton is only used to keep the log files. 50MB - 100MB is more than enough for this purpose. I coulnd't find a guide that teach us how to repartition MMC devices, speacially the new ones like Moto G. Moto G uses a SD card to keep all the information, but only data partition is visible and can be used. You can acces the cache folder anytime, but you can't install or move apps there.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-02-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Global Posts
    21,584 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: How can I repartition cache and re-allocate the free space to the data partition

The cache data is more than just log files. It is potentially cache for the entire system and applications.
    You can keep it under control through recovery.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: How can I repartition cache and re-allocate the free space to the data partition

No it's not. Cache partition is only used to keep log files and maybe apks before installing it. Newest android versions use data partition to store all its cache. That's why I'm trying to use that free space.

Thanks for you comment.

Global Posts
    21,584 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Moto G: How can I repartition cache and re-allocate the free space to the data partition

/cache

This is the partition where Android stores frequently accessed data and app components. Wiping the cache doesnt effect your personal data but simply gets rid of the existing data there, which gets automatically rebuilt as you continue using the device.

From here: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...ta-cache-misc/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Re: Moto G: How can I repartition cache and re-allocate the free space to the data partition

As I said, newest android versions don't use cache partition for these purposes anymore. This article is old, 3 years ago. All the cache, accessed data and app components are now stored in the user partition.

Thanks again for your comment.

Global Posts
    21,584 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by NacaoCeleste View Post
    As I said, newest android versions don't use cache partition for these purposes anymore. This article is old, 3 years ago. All the cache, accessed data and app components are now stored in the user partition.

Thanks again for your comment.
    Could you cite a source?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline