Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Default Moto G: Maximising battery life - which charge cycle to follow?

Hi all,

This has to do with maximising the long term battery life by charging it the right way.

On the one hand, I've heard a lot about taking a phone battery from 100 to nearly 0 % to maximise its life. I have adhered to this method on all my past (non-smartphone) phones and generally come up with good results.

On the other hand, I have recently come across a very different opinion on this issue. Apparently, the best way to charge a smartphone battery is to maintain it between 80 to 40 % charge, with the usual 100 to 0 % cycle once a month.

Now I am mixed up as to the best way to charge the Moto G battery so that its charge capacity depletes as slowly as possible.

Any thought?

Thanks!
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Maximising battery life - which charge cycle to follow?

Me too....am curious about this issue :-)

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AM_SOS View Post
    On the one hand, I've heard a lot about taking a phone battery from 100 to nearly 0 % to maximise its life. I have adhered to this method on all my past (non-smartphone) phones and generally come up with good results.
    Do not fully drain lithium battery, doing that is detriment to the battery life. Also it's better to not constant charging the battery if it's already near full. Also the cooler it run the better. Personally I would charge the battery before it goes lower than a quarter and only when reached below 90%.

I don't think you need to do the full discharge at all unless you run into calibration issues.

sent via tapatalk

best would be to charge at 50% that way you increase the battery life by double compared to charging at 0%, batteries have a life ie number of charge cycles say 500-600 every time you do a 100-0% you consume one charge cycle, where as in 100-50% you only use half charge cycle. First time you use a new phone or a battery charge it completely and let it discharge fully, then follow the 100-50% routine. You can discharge the battery completely once in three months.

I question the logic here. Whereas I agree that you will only use one half charge cycle if you recharge at 50% compared to 100% but you will have to charge twice as often so nothing is gained.

Can anyone else, perhaps someone that designs l-ion batteries, weigh in on this debate?

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

Putting out fire with gasoline

I always get a week from my phones, thats with medium usage, and I charge my phone when it gets to 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by IamPogo View Post
    I question the logic here. Whereas I agree that you will only use one half charge cycle if you recharge at 50% compared to 100% but you will have to charge twice as often so nothing is gained.

Can anyone else, perhaps someone that designs l-ion batteries, weigh in on this debate?

works for me, have to charge only once a day that's it.

Missed my point. If you only use 50% (or less) of the battery capacity each day then off course you can recharge each day and use a half-cycle. But if you use 100% battery capacity each day but recharge twice (at 50%) then you use a full cycle each day.

The original question asked for the best charge cycle to follow in order to maximize the life of the battery. That question, in my mind, has yet to be answered.

With lithium ion batteries it's best to avoid deep discharges (80%-20 is good) and overheating.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB Roms 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by IamPogo View Post
    Missed my point. If you only use 50% (or less) of the battery capacity each day then off course you can recharge each day and use a half-cycle. But if you use 100% battery capacity each day but recharge twice (at 50%) then you use a full cycle each day.

The original question asked for the best charge cycle to follow in order to maximize the life of the battery. That question, in my mind, has yet to be answered.
    with heavy usage ie 100% in one day I doubt you will be able to maximize the battery life, in the long run the battery will definitely conk-out.

Default Re: Moto G: Maximising battery life - which charge cycle to follow?

The good news is the battery is very easy to replace. 14 screws and a ribbon. New oem batteries are cheap too. So don't sweat it.

Posted via Android Central App