Moto G - very impressive

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a Moto G all week and I can't believe how good it is for such a small outlay.

It's a very solid phone and performs very well, it almost feels like a premium handset.

Samsung have a lot of work to do on their budget handsets to catch up.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

nessinhaw

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto G - very impessive

agreed! Moto G is rly amazing for its price tag!

i have mine for about 3 months now and still running perfect and smooth!

i'm on 4.4.2+ART btw!

sent from my Moto G <3

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It's an awesome device.

Sancrya0

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

It's amazing for it's price. I got mine a while ago, and even though I loved the huge screen on my old Note 2, the Moto G is so much easier to handle with only one hand.

The screen quality is quite impressive too and so is the battery. Also I didn't expect it to be so snappy and smooth. And omg, it looks sexy lol.

The only thing I can't do is watch movies/series on netflix (app). The audio and video seem out of sync, which seems to be a common problem with devices with "lower specs". Anyone got a solution for this maybe? My Asus Memopad has the same issue, but it used to be fine on my note 2.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Would just like to add that I totally agree with the above.

Only petty annoyance is that there is no RGB LED which is something of a bugbear. I wont mention the KK update as that's not the fault of the phone, but otherwise loving it so far!

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

It's a great phone irrespective of price. The build quality is great, it's stylish and as smooth as butter. When you factor in the price it's just a massive bargain.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Yea I came from a note 2, totally agree with your post. I miss a few bits but I'd never go Samsung again. This does me nicely, and I'll probably grab a nexus when I have the funds... stock Google ftw

Sancrya0

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, stock Google is amazing :)

Do you guys use auto-brightness btw? I like my screen quite bright, but am not sure about the battery life if slide it up to like 60%.

I could ofcourse try it out myself, but I'm just curious ^_^

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, stock Google is amazing :)

Do you guys use auto-brightness btw? I like my screen quite bright, but am not sure about the battery life if slide it up to like 60%.

I could ofcourse try it out myself, but I'm just curious ^_^

Stock Google? I'd rather have Motorola's Moto G than Google's Google Play edition Moto G.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I just got one yesterday. I thought that I would try it out since it was so cheap. I sold my iPhone 5S and bought a Chromebook C720 and Moto G and still had $175 left over. The phone is snappy enough. I do see some hiccups when scrolling, but that's fine with me. The build quality on the whole seems good. The volume rocker is a little loose, but again, not a big deal. The only real gripes that I have with the device are no LTE and the camera isn't that great. But some cuts in the hardware is to be expected when considering the price. I can say the same regarding my new Chromebook, which I really love.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

A c720 will be my next purchase. These two devices combined cover all my needs and represent incredible value for money.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

The battery on the Moto G isn't bad at all. I have been playing around with it all day. Took it off the charger at 7am. It's now almost 2 pm and I have 57 percent left. No complaints in this department.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I recommend the grip shell for it. Might fix your volume issue. Sold my Nexus 5 for this phone. Don't regret it. Still debating between a Nexus 7 or a Chromebook.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I recommend the grip shell for it. Might fix your volume issue. Sold my Nexus 5 for this phone. Don't regret it. Still debating between a Nexus 7 or a Chromebook.

I don't know about choosing the Moto G over a Nexus 5. There are some big tradeoffs that aren't worth the savings. For a $150 more in the Nexus 5 you get a much better camera, better screen, NFC, faster processor, LTE, and slightly more advanced software. Don't get me wrong, I like my Moto G. But the Nexus 5 is a better deal by far in my opinion. As for the Chrome book versus the Nexus 7. I loved my Nexus 7 but I found that it didn't offer an experience that was much different from my phone. It was slightly bigger and that was about it. The Chromebook offers a much different experience and I have really enjoyed using it. The best value if any tech that I have bought in recent years.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I had a Nexus 5 but sold it as I just couldn't settle with it. The fact that the Moto G costs so little compared to the quality of the device and OS means that I am absolutely 100% happy with it. I also prefer it to the Nexus.

I have a Nexus 7 2013 which I love, it's a great tablet, but I'm now looking at buying a Chromebook for the additional functionality and keyboard. The N7 is perfect for reading, light web browsing and games but sometimes I need more than that.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't know about choosing the Moto G over a Nexus 5. There are some big tradeoffs that aren't worth the savings. For a $150 more in the Nexus 5 you get a much better camera, better screen, NFC, faster processor, LTE, and slightly more advanced software. Don't get me wrong, I like my Moto G. But the Nexus 5 is a better deal by far in my opinion. As for the Chrome book versus the Nexus 7. I loved my Nexus 7 but I found that it didn't offer an experience that was much different from my phone. It was slightly bigger and that was about it. The Chromebook offers a much different experience and I have really enjoyed using it. The best value if any tech that I have bought in recent years.

I had the Nexus 5 since November, the 4 before then. The only thing I truly missed was the camera and LTE.

I thought the G has a nice overall screen, even though it is lower resolution and smaller. But the colors are better.

NFC I've never used except maybe once on a Big Mac run.

The faster processor is negligible since I just read forums and twitter.

But the one big difference between the Nexus 5 and G is the battery life. I have the same usage pattern for both devices and I get 3 hour more screen on time. Almost double. Amazing.

Oh one thing, wireless charging mod on the G is fantastic. Order an eBay qi receiver to micro USB and slap it behind the back case or grip case and you are good to go. I would definitely miss that from the nexus if that wasn't possible. Once you go wireless it's hard to go back.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a Moto G all week and I can't believe how good it is for such a small outlay.

It's a very solid phone and performs very well, it almost feels like a premium handset.

Samsung have a lot of work to do on their budget handsets to catch up.

I would agree with you that the Moto G is better suited for you according to your use patterns. And I also agree with you concerning the battery life of the G. Absolutely fantastic. I hope in the future manufacturers learn from Motorola on how to produce a device that gets great battery life in a smaller form factor.

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X or Nexus 5 are better phones, worth a premium over the Moto G. However, if you only have $200 the Moto G is the best phone for the bucks. I think that's an important thing to acknowledge, better doesn't mean anything if price is an issue.

I would have loved a Moto X, but didn't have the extra money.

After two and a half months, I prefer my Moto G to my old Samsung GS3.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X or Nexus 5 are better phones, worth a premium over the Moto G. However, if you only have $200 the Moto G is the best phone for the bucks. I think that's an important thing to acknowledge, better doesn't mean anything if price is an issue.

I would have loved a Moto X, but didn't have the extra money.

After two and a half months, I prefer my Moto G to my old Samsung GS3.

Really though?

Personally I'd rather have a Moto G and the extra cash in my pocket than a Nexus 5 or Moto X.

The best phone is the one that suits you best. For me, at the minute, it's this phone.

Those other phones may have better specs but whether they are worth the premium over the G is very much down to the user.