Moto G - Wifi randomly dropping

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I got a Moto G 16GB last week, which as soon as powered up prompted me to update to 4.4.2 so keep in mind I don't know how the phone would have been before that.... but the wifi keeps randomly just dropping and reconnecting itself after a minute or so... I'll be browsing the net and I'll notice the wifi symbol change to the H+ symbol, during this I'll go into my wifi settings and it will show that my router is saved and stored, then after the minute it'll go into authenticating and connect like usual... it happens quite regularly too.

Its quite annoying because I only have 300Mb data on my mobile plan, so I can't be wasting that when I should be using Wifi, but I need to keep it on now so I don't miss kik notification etc while the wifi drops... is this a known bug with 4.4.2? I've read other connectivity problems browsing the forums/other forums...

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited:

jobiiwan

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm seeing some random WiFi drop offs, most notably when using YouTube. I normally smash the refresh button a few times and things will appear but it is getting annoying.

I can't say I notice the WiFi icon disappear but I'll keep my eye out for it and report back.

Posted via Android Central App

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Settings / wifi / 3 dots /advanced
Check if your avoid poor connection if on
If so, turn it off

Posted via Android Central App

dsw_android

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have got a similar problem but no resolution. (Moto G 16GB Android 4.4.2)

1. Tried the Wipe Cache clear partition.

2. Have connected to a different router with 2.4 Ghz only and also different network too.

3. Have tried all combinations of "Location" settings - High Accuracy, Battery Saving, Device only - Lots of permutations and combinations with reboots too.

4. Have also tried with Wifi Ruler/Manager apps to see if that helps. But no luck :(

Yet, unable to get beyond 2 Mbps download speed on Wifi. Youtube buffers a lot and connection consistently drops for one or 2 seconds. Click on 'Retry' once or twice and then it is back. Same occurs for other apps as well. (Other devices in the house have consistently shown 10 Mbps and above and no connection dropping or buffering problems.)

If I try to Speedtest with 3G connection, it also has shown beyond 7 Mbps majorly.

Could someone please help me on this..?

(The only problem with the phone is "Wifi Speed"... rest all good.)

Screenshot_2014.png

dsw_android

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If anyone still has wifi speed issues on Moto G, the following could be helpful which fixed the issue for me.

1. Phone - Location services ON with High Accuracy mode. Battery Saver Off (under settings>Battery). WiFi advanced settings as per the above screenshot.

and now the culprit router..

2. Router - Band has to be 2.4Ghz only. Change the settings for 801 b/g/n to either b or g. (Also if required, change the channel frequency from Auto to something else.)

Restart router and phone and now the speeds are back...!! No more buffering while playing videos.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol