Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto G - Battery Shot Down to 1%

Hello,
    I connected my device to PC. My battery was above 80% at this point of time.
    It was connected as a camera device. So i changed it to usb media. Did my work.
    Again i wanted to transfer some photos from my moto g to PC. So i switched it as a camera device.
    At this point the phone powered down and restarted. When the home screen came up the battery was shot down to 1% !
    Please help
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Moto G - Battery Shot Down to 1%

Well, consider it as a glitch sometime it just happens because of not being properly charge, try doing the same thing again but before that charge your device fully using the the adapter not through the USB cable and PC and if you still get the same error message then i would say their is some problem with the battery change it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I suppose it was a glitch. Afterwards when i kept it for charging using adapter it was fully charged to 100% within 20 minutes. Normally it takes at least 3 hours to be fully charged.
    Thanks for the reply though.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Normal behavior for the G. There are threads here and at xda that deal with the sudden apparent discharge occurring. Moto is aware of the issue but haven't released any fix for it yet. Have to wonder if they will ever be able to address it if they haven't already. On the positive side, many people seem to only experience it once and it has never reoccured.

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7/scott Pilgr

It happened to me about 3 Weeks ago. Hasn't happened since. I blamed myself as I was'nt using the charger that came with the phone...But yesterday it happened to my wife who also has this phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Update from the thread at the official Motorola forums:

Update from Motorola:

We know this is frustrating and apologize for the experience. We are working closely with Qualcomm to confirm root cause (which we believe is an intermittent error in a sensor measurement) and we are testing algorithm adjustments to filter out any spurious measurements. The phone is shutting down in these instances as a protection mechanism based on this incorrect measurement.

All of the diagnostic data we've examined shows that the battery of your devices is okay - indeed this is why you can continue to use the phone at "1%" - because the battery still is really charged at whatever level before the abrupt drop.

We are testing this adjustment now (better filtering) for the next system update. We know this is frustrating, both for the folks for which this appears to occur randomly, as well as those for whom it is fairly repeatable (USB). Thank you to the users who have swapped units so that we could examine them - the occurrence of this in the *total* Moto G population is very low, but that doesn't matter if it is happening to you!

We'll share more data here as soon as we have it; unfortunately exact release schedules for updates depend on several things (carrier lab approvals, etc.) and this is not the only item in this release. However it is a priority to get out and we are testing algorithm adjustments now.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/7a7b068df1?page=8

Hello
    this happened to me and new Moto g phone two days ago . my battery was at 72% and was on stand by and not used much . an hour later I noticed phone is turned off by itself .
    I turned it on and signaled my battery is 1% . I was very angry about it . I put on AC charger and start to charge ,at same time called Consumer cellular ( I have time to return the phone ) informed them for this issue .they suggested to send me new phone as replacement , which I will receive tomorrow .
    meanwhile battery was charged at 15% ,since I had to go out I have the battery in car with car charger .
    after 1/2 hour I was out of car and checked battery situation and was at 95% !!!! wow , I charged it full at car charger .now is 2,5 days and is normal my battery is at 50%
    i noticed the comments at others comments about this issue or glitch and Motorola comment too .
    tomorrow when i receive the new phone i will send this phone back . hope the new phone work good ,since i will not be able to return it any more .
    my question is if Motorola correct the problem update will be for my phone too?
    thank you Manu

mean while the charger
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yes it will be.
    KitKat 4.4.3 for Moto G will be rolling out soon, just make sure you update to it.

Thank you for reply , I feel now comfortable and will keep this phone .

Same problem if I use my PC to charge or transfer files ...waiting for update to fix this ...I just don't use it on PC till then otherwise awesome cell next will be moto x

Sent from my XT1032

Happened to me 4 times already, same thing when I hook it up to the PC, it powers off automatically and when its on again it shows 1 percent battery life.

Sent from my XT1033 using AC Forums mobile app

i have got same problem with my moto g. any proper solution for that.???

Found a solution till proper fix ...use Airdroid app u can transfer any file and upload with out USB cable ...works awesome

sent from Mars using Moto g !

Another option for easy wireless transfer if you have SMB shares on the PC is ES Explorer.....