Huge battery drain unless I do a cache clear every day

arch stanton1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Normal standby will uses a few percent overnight. Suddenly the battery drain steps up as if some sort of process is running in the background, and 50% of the battery would be used in standby in a day. A cache clear sets things right, but now I have to do it every day to stop the fast battery drain.
Will 4.4.3 fix this?

arch stanton1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Here's what happened since yesterday morning. Slow battery drain until I got some notifications of app updates (after about an hour). Then battery drain is high for the next day and night. I was repeatedly killing tasks and stopping MotoCare and some other BS stuff that keeps turning itself on. As you can see half the battery is gone in 24 hours, with only 20 minutes of talking at best.

Then I did a cache clear, killed all the apps that re-start, and the standby use is like I expect it to be, good for 5-6 days.

Some sort of battery-killing process gets started automatically and can only be stopped with a cache clear.

screenshot_motoG.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's what happened since yesterday morning. Slow battery drain until I got some notifications of app updates (after about an hour). Then battery drain is high for the next day and night. I was repeatedly killing tasks and stopping MotoCare and some other BS stuff that keeps turning itself on. As you can see half the battery is gone in 24 hours, with only 20 minutes of talking at best.

Then I did a cache clear, killed all the apps that re-start, and the standby use is like I expect it to be, good for 5-6 days.

Some sort of battery-killing process gets started automatically and can only be stopped with a cache clear.

View attachment 116962

OK...so you are killing apps? Which ones?

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Youtube, GMail, Media storage, and Email, none of which I use, but start on their own anyway. Maps I leave alone, it seems to be always running.

I would suggest leaving media storage alone, and disabling the other apps you mentioned.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

arch stanton1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I seem to have low battery drain now, even with all of these self-starting apps running in the background. Guess what the culprit was. Chrome. If I started Chrome and then went back to the home screen or to another app, Chrome running in the background was using up my battery. If I specifically kill Chrome, I get low battery use.

Edit: Even with Chrome stopped, at the baseball game last night it started the 1% drain/hour again in standby. I powered it down and up, no difference. A cache clear in the 6th inning brought the battery drain back to normal (3% overnight). Google needs to look into this.

If there is a pattern it's that the standby drain steps into high gear if I'm moving or move more than one cell tower from where the phone is happy.

Last edited:

Suhail Bashir

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Same stuff is happening to me with my brand new moto g running 4.4.3 out of box. The drain is almost 1% per 3-4 minutes.

I don't know what's causing this. Is this another one of KitKat bugs??

And OP, did the issue get resolved or you're just working around it.??

Sent from my XT1033 using AC Forums mobile app

Suhail Bashir

May 11, 2014
Visit site
And why does my battery status only show about 4-5 hours of backup for 75% battery life?

Attachments

• 1400003165991.jpg
    1400003165991.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 25

abhibh

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
And why does my battery status only show about 4-5 hours of backup for 75% battery life?

Its showing you that you have used the phone for 4 hours since last charge on the battery. So 25% battery consumed in 4 hours and out of which appx 60% is used by screen that means you have used phone for appx 2.4 hours.

Going by the current rate of battery drain your phone should last 14 hours or more. Which is very good since you have been playing candy crush :p

Suhail Bashir

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Thank you abhibh.
It's just that I only get about 5-6 hours on battery. Do I need calibration or something similar?

arch stanton1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I'll post a pic later today. I think I've narrowed it down to two or three things. I did a cache clear with a full battery, only used a full percent overnight, then after 12 hours on battery, the drain cranks up to a few percent an hour. I looked at the running apps and it showed two processes that started about the same time the battery drain started, Moto services and Google Analytics under Google Play. If I do a cache clear and stop these two processes after rebooting, I get low standby power usage until they start up again.

Any hope the 4.4.3 patch fixes this instead of making it worse?

abhibh

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you abhibh.
It's just that I only get about 5-6 hours on battery. Do I need calibration or something similar?

Please post a screenshot once you have 10% battery left to see whats draining the battery that it just lasts 2-3 hours more for the remaining 75%.

qqme2014

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm also getting horrible battery life post KitKat I've tried everything both a hard and soft reset, battery calibration, tried a dozen battery booster apps and ...nothing, I've tried complaining on Motorola's forum and received no response

Posted via Android Central App

beeray

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
my battery drain seem to be because of Motorola services app.

That happened to me yesterday. My droid mini was draining battery like crazy. Moto services kept the phone awake. The phone finally was able to update and now my battery is back to normal.

arch stanton1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Chrome was a battery killer, but Motorola Services (Notification) seems to be the problem. It must be waking up the phone and turning on the screen even though you think it is asleep. That's why 50% of your battery goes to screen in standby.

My new procedure is to charge it before bedtime, shut off the phone overnight, and turn it on in the morning. Kill all apps right away, then go into settings/apps/running apps and kill Moto Services and Google Play Gcm services and Google Analytics. My phone has been on 2 days and 14 hours with 70% of the battery left. It's like Jelly Bean is back.

Mo Om

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
what about settings for location? my battery was draining almost 35% over night because location it was set to "high accuracy". after I put it to "battery saver" all my problems dissapear :)

arch stanton1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I've found a way to get standby battery drain to what I expect with the Moto G. First problem was "Super Task Killer". I replaced it with "Advanced Task Killer" which, with low security, allows you to see and kill every process, which you don't really want to do, since they will just start up again. I do use the task killer to stop Google Maps and Google Play after I'm done using an app that calls them. I haven't figured out if Play or Maps is the one doing the drain in standby yet. You can also check in settings/apps/running what is going on. Under Google Play, if there is a Gcm service running sometimes it uses battery.

If I don't receive notifications of updates, the battery drain is low on standby. This I was able to do for 5+ days without a cache clear. Here's what I have running in standby.
Screenshot_2014-05-21-10-37-17.png

And here's my battery drain so far this week.
Screenshot_2014-05-21-10-38-16.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084