Something SERIOUSLY wrong with my Moto G

OH ryan

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys my Moto G right now is completely useless. When I boot the phone is says "Android is upgrading.. Optimizing 1 out of 1 apps" This happened immediately after I installed the latest Flipboard update. After a few minutes, I try to unlock my phone and it just hangs and goes back to the lock screen, over and over. Sometimes it throws me an error as well "system UI stopped working" or something like that.

I restarted so many times and it still persists. I tried safe mode but its still the same. Should I go into recovery or something? I'm not that well versed in that kind of stuff. I also don't wan't to wipe my data, any help? BTW I'm using ART if that matters.

Last edited:

JoaoPSantos

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Same exact problem here. While updating to the new flipboard version this happened. Same exact symptoms.
Couple of things to add:
When I tried enter recovery mode I got a "No Command" screen.
Also using ART.
I could be wrong, but I think the motorola splash screen was also updated.

Haven't called Motorola yet, but from Ryan's experience it might not be much help...

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Can you launch google now from the lock screen? If so look for flipboard and try to uninstall
Looks like that update from flipboard is not compatible with ART?

Posted via Android Central App

OH ryan

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Nope. It's "soft bricked" I can't do anything with my phone. I don't Flipboard will be able to help my phone with another update as I can't even install it in the first place.

MerckZ

May 17, 2014
Visit site
This is seriously frustrating. Safe Mode doesn't help either...

The most annoying thing is, for some reason or other, yesterday I got a lucky break and it allowed me a window of time to uninstall Flipboard before reverting to the lock screen. It worked fine after doing so. Then it re-installed Flipboard of its own volition and now I'm back in this continuous loop of System UI crashes.

Any ideas? I'm a rather inexperienced Android user, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

snoworm

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I was in the same situation. Tried wipe cache, no luck. Have to factory reset my moto g. I left comment for flipboard on google play, they replied flipboard doesn't support ART for now.

Kumar Velayutham

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Same Issue, happened when i was updating bunch of apps. restarted itself and had android is updating information, then optimising 1 of 1 apps, then doesent go anywhere from the lock screen.. I am guessing it is flipbord too, and i am using in ART mode as many of you here. couldn't do factory reset as it only restarts the device when i choose factory option and then same thing. :(

krushireddy

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Have the same issue, and even I have ART enabled. Additionally, trying to uninstall any application reboots my phone and it takes four or five attempts to get the phone to the home screen (even with the safe mode on).

I remember seeing a message similar to "Android is upgrading. Optimizing x of y" the time I enabled ART for the first time. So, I presume even this issue has something to do with ART.

On a possibly unrelated note, with the device on and connected to my Mac (and PC), I'm unable to see the phone as a drive. This is blocking me from taking a backup. I am currently backing up all my photos to Box. Once that is done, I will disable ART and see if it makes any difference.

Will keep you posted.

palm_pilot

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Have the same issue, and even I have ART enabled. Additionally, trying to uninstall any application reboots my phone and it takes four or five attempts to get the phone to the home screen (even with the safe mode on).

I remember seeing a message similar to "Android is upgrading. Optimizing x of y" the time I enabled ART for the first time. So, I presume even this issue has something to do with ART.

On a possibly unrelated note, with the device on and connected to my Mac (and PC), I'm unable to see the phone as a drive. This is blocking me from taking a backup. I am currently backing up all my photos to Box. Once that is done, I will disable ART and see if it makes any difference.

Will keep you posted.

It's Flipboard.

palm_pilot

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Guys, my assumption is right. I've changed my runtime from ART to Dalvik, and the phone starts up without an issue.

@palm_pilot - May be!

It's definitely Flipboard. How did you manage to change the runtime from ART to Dalvik? Fastboot? ADB sideload scripts with recovery? Thanks!

sajidr

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I managed to switch my runtime back to Dalvik. It was painfully slow but in the end I didn't have to do a factory reset.

There's a fraction of a second after unlocking when the screen responds to a touch or swipe. This happens only right after you see the error message popup - "Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped". If you do not see this message after unlock then open up the camera from the lock screen & close it.

Next, follow these steps to open up the app drawer -
1. Unlock the phone
2. Once you see the popup "Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped", keep tapping on the area where you think the app drawer icon is. At the same time, using another finger click on the OK button of the systemui message box.
3. If your timing's good then once the message box is closed, the app drawer should open.
4. The phone would go back to lock screen but the app drawer would be open. You can validate this by unlocking the phone.

Repeat the above steps to swipe over to your Settings app. Instead of tapping, do short swipes & then click on the message box OK button. Each time the phone would go back to the lock screen but you should be able to slowly navigate over to change your runtime.

Once I got the hang of it, it took me about 15 minutes to go to Settings & change the runtime.

Don't bother trying to uninsintall flipboard from your play store this way. I tried it twice & both times the phone rebooted itself after i clicked the uninstall button.

If your screen layout shifts vertically after the unlock then tap on the area where you first see the icon & not where it moves to after the shift.

Good luck.

Last edited:

whiteblack1199

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Sajirdr. I can confirm this works. I was using this method, but without the pretapping prior to clicking ok. I got all the way to settings, but was stuck there. Your method helped me get back to Dalvik. About a million billion thanks! I'm glad I didn't wipe the phone.

Jan Welch

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I had an issue with my Moto G few days ago. I noticed that my battery was getting really low so I plugged it in to charge it up and it shut down, completely shut down and would not start. I called Boost to see if they could get my phone started, they tried but they couldn't ( good thing I had another boost phone to use temporarily ). What Boost did however was to suggest that I call Motorola to see if they could do more on their end. So I called Motorola and next thing I know they had my phone up and running but as I said it was completely dead and there was nothing I could do to get it going. I still don't know what caused it. Just that Motorola did say that this was a known issue with these phones. Anybody else have this problem?

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2