I might like the Moto G more than X.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a used Verizon Moto G for $50 to try it out. I haven't used it for calls, but so far I there are some things I like about more than the Moto X:

-It's thicker, but not too much. There is more surface area of the smooth rubber on the sides and the edges are rounder which make it very comfortable to grip, more than the X.
-Only used it 3 days, but battery life seems superb. I streamed Netflix episodes for a total of 5.5hours of screen on time, the battery isn't even lower than 50%.
-I guess due to the low power CPU, the phone stay cooler than the Moto X for heavy tasks like gaming.
-While the screen viewing angle is not very good, it does have good IPS LCD characteristics, it have more correct white balance and lacks that grainy AMOLED texture.

Other than this the build quality seems surprising good for the price and WiFi and GPS signals are pretty good. With ART enabled, it felt just as fast as the Moto X. There are only some slow down sometimes, but it never felt slow.

I only wish it had better viewing angle and NFC. The main thing I will be missing from the X is Active Display, so I will have to do a trial on some third party alternatives. The camera is sure not as good, but it is not vital for me. I like the way it feel in the hand more than the Moto X and the battery life. I'm seriously considering getting the Moto G LTE to use as a daily driver and relegate the Moto X to backup.

Last edited:

Ivo-p

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there anything more to ART than longer installation, bigger size but faster startup of apps. So far I have been using Dalvik. Every single one of my apps is in Dalvik. Is there gonna be a problem if I swap to Art or do I have to reset first.?

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there anything more to ART than longer installation, bigger size but faster startup of apps. So far I have been using Dalvik. Every single one of my apps is in Dalvik. Is there gonna be a problem if I swap to Art or do I have to reset first.?

You don't have to reset, it will just convert the app which will take a while. ART make things smoother for me, some people disagree.

SandmanATHF

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

'
ART makes the apps run smoother due to the phone hosting more information or something along those lines. The only app htat I know wont work in ART is WhatsApp, so I do not use it. I remember someone comparing the two as terms with iOS. iOS uses a more ART-like system which makes it seem as those their apps run much faster and more smooth on lesser hardware.

insanezz

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
'
ART makes the apps run smoother due to the phone hosting more information or something along those lines. The only app htat I know wont work in ART is WhatsApp, so I do not use it. I remember someone comparing the two as terms with iOS. iOS uses a more ART-like system which makes it seem as those their apps run much faster and more smooth on lesser hardware.

Whats app does work on art... Only in the beging it didn't

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1032 met Tapatalk

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There are some reports of people having serious problems with ART and Flipboard.

Posted via Android Central App

izzy67

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I got the moto g and love it. I just recently went into a store and tried out the X and I agree with what everyone is saying.

Posted via my Moto G

theragtopman

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to say I agree. I got a white Moto X as a gift last month for my birthday and I just didn't like enough to switch, so I returned it. I was intrigued enough by it that I ordered one of the just released white Moto G's with LTE and I'm much happier! Even though it is larger and arguably "clunkier", I find that it just fits my hand better and feels more solid. I like that you can easily change the back covers to personalize it on a whim. And I think it may have the best screen of any smartphone on the market right now! I've used both Nexus IPS panels (which are very washed out) and Samsung and the Moto X AMOLED panels (which are comically saturated in my view) and it looks to my eyes that the Moto G IPS panel is the perfect balance - clean whites, dark blacks, colors with just enough pop. I do miss the active notifications, though, or even a multi color LED like a Nexus. And I noticed the G feels a little "rattly" when the vibrate motor is active. Didn't notice that with the X or my Nexus. Overall, great phone for the money - very satisfied with it!

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
And I noticed the G feels a little "rattly" when the vibrate motor is active. Didn't notice that with the X or my Nexus. Overall, great phone for the money - very satisfied with it!
That's opposite to my experience. First time the X booted the vibrate was more rattly and I preferred the more solid feel of the G. I was test driving both and knew given the minimal price differences I would prefer the X. The X is a bargain compared to the last two unlocked iPhones I've purchased. But for the price of the G it really is a good buy until you get to the price of the LTE version. Than I think you might as well go to the X.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
There are some reports of people having serious problems with ART and Flipboard.

I had problems with MLB At Bat with ART on my Nexus 5. The app worked fine except it wouldn't live stream games. So I reluctantly went back to Dalvik. I hope MLB gets the app updated. Other than that I had no issues at all with ART. I didn't really notice any difference in performance though.

Cliff Woolfork

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
My opinion on the subject...I have the Droid Mini, Moto X, and Moto G LTE. My X cost $428 with shipping and what does it do that makes it worth more than the G LTE? Active Display... That's it. Sure its got more power, slightly larger screen, and more internal memory but for me its about bang for the buck. Sure the X is a good value when sitting next to a HTC One (whichever ones popular at the moment) or a Galaxy but when comparing Motorolas OWN smartphones I can't justify the $200 premium.

So right now I'm using the Moto G LTE in white with its little 'ol 8GB ROM backed up by a 16GB SD card and I'm perfectly happy with it. After downloading all my apps and games (68 total apps) I still have 2.89GB of internal space. Not to shabby. All my music and photos go to the SD card (about 7GB there) with plenty of space. My biggest gripe about the Moto G is its camera and only 1GB RAM. If it had a slightly better camera and another 512MB of RAM it'd be the absolute best bang for the buck out there.

Posted via Android Central App

ogamawab

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I used art Android run time and see the speed up in performance. Android 5.0 will make more use to the art mode...

Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1