- 134 Posts
Solution to getting rid of OTA update (kitkat) WITHOUT ROOTING. (Wish I figured it out before)
Well, as the title says, wish I had figured it out before unlocking the bootloader. Here's what to do:
When the nagging OTA update shows up to update to kitkat, click download.
After download is complete it will ask to install and nag you to install it.
When you see this, turn off the phone.
Once off, boot into recovery (vol down + power key pressed for 3 seconds then release)
Scroll to recovery by using vol down and then select recovery by vol up.
Scroll to clear cache by vol down and then select with power key.
Select power key again to move back into recovery.
Select power key again to reboot.
Once you reboot go into Settings -> About phone -> System Update
Install the update.
Watch it install and then fail.
Laugh in an evil manner.
Phone will automatically log you back in and you will see a message such as update failed.
The annoying update ota nag will be gone forever.
- 06-25-2014, 09:35 PM #2
- 06-25-2014, 09:39 PM #3
- 09-22-2014, 04:16 PM #4
- 1 Posts
Re: Solution to getting rid of OTA update (kitkat) WITHOUT ROOTING. (Wish I figured it out before)
This step by step description is definitely NOT WORKING on Motorola Moto X phone. After downloading the update and clearing the cache the update will not fail. It will install KitKat smoothly.
Still factory reset is the best solution and reinstalling all your apps....
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 6Last Post: 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
- By babracmmm in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)Replies: 9Last Post: 07-04-2014, 09:35 AM
- By Eric The Duke in forum AT&T Galaxy S3Replies: 8Last Post: 06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
- By eddiebhoy in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 4Last Post: 06-26-2014, 10:17 PM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 06-23-2014, 11:28 PM