Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default External SD Card reader?

Can I use an external SD Card reader on my moto g? It is the prepaid Verizon edition?

I would like to transfer files to a tablet.

My friend is getting out of the big house in a couple of weeks. He has a u-tab7 from union supply, which is a locked down tablet. He said once he gets out he can't put more stuff on it.

I bet him I could do it using my phone.

Then he tells me that the tablet is locked down and he can only access it through their menu and that only allows songs etc from that company.

I am on a quest to hack that tablet. Any thoughts?

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Default Re: External SD Card reader?

Are there repercussions to putting other stuff on it (e.g. would it be taken away)? Risk vs reward?

Posted via Android Central App on my HP TouchPad (Schizoid PAC-ROM 4.2.2)

In answer to the original question - should be no problem with using an OTG card reader with Moto G.

And the Meenova card reader is only about $12 shipped.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks guys. No there is no problem putting more stuff on. He is bringing it home with him. It just seems weird that once out he can't put more stuff on it. The company won't sell him any more free books for $12. He spent $200 on it, should be able to use it as a tablet. This phone wasn't even $200.

Are any of you guys expert android programmers? I have an app that will make a few bucks, but I am not good enough yet to do it.

There are THREE good solutions to External Storage via USB OTG on the Moto G!
    Plugable

Meenova

Leef Bridge 3.0

SanDisk also makes one, but I haven't use it. I'd say the Leef Bridge is my favorite, as it's USB 3.0 and I get pretty good transfer rates!

Here are some Instagram posts showing USB OTG working on the Moto G!
    Instagram - Instagram - Instagram (That was after the KitKat update, which no longer required Root to use USB OTG!)!

Also, you can use Ethernet on the Moto G!
    Instagram - Instagram

Did you have any luck with this in the end? My boyfriend is coming home with one soon and we're having the same problem. But I guess now they made them all get updated operating systems with a security feature that we've heard erases data from sd cards inserted with data that didn't come directly from Union Supply. Any advice?