Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By KateThatcham
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Newbie with questions - Moto G - please be patient with me if I ask stupid questions !

Hi All
    I've just bought my first ever Smartphone - Moto G. I'm rather stuck with a few issues and would appreciate some help, please:

1) I cannot work out how to stop the phone vibrating every time I try to press a key. The instructions talk about pressing "settings" but when I look at the list of options, the only "settings" I can find are "google settings". This weird noise and vibration is somewhat grating and I'd love to switch it off . I've been trying for about two hours to find out how to do it. I keep going round in circles and getting stuck....

2) it seems that I have to press an icon once, so it gets a yellow square around it, then I can double click to open the feature, but that doesn't work with the home button - am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the phone?

3) I'm migrating my number to a new micro sim and o2 told me it could take 24 hours - but I have to type in my list of contacts. I'm used to a normal button type keyboard and can't seem to get the numbers or letters to register..... what am I doing wrong, please?

I have tried to follow the instructions, but the icons seem to be a bit different on the phone - so any help you can give will be gratefully received. Either that or I'll just have to ask a ten year old as they seem to find all this very easy !!

(On a positive front I did at least manage to sort out the WiFi connection - so I'm not completely hopeless.)

Thanks !
    Kate

Default Re: Newbie with questions - Moto G - please be patient with me if I ask stupid questions !

Welcome to Android Central!

Quote Originally Posted by KateThatcham View Post
    1) I cannot work out how to stop the phone vibrating every time I try to press a key.
    There are usually two places to adjust this. You'll need to go to your System Settings. This can usually be found if you swipe down from the top of the screen--look for a gear or control panel icon at the top of the resulting notification shade. If it isn't there, then tap the icon at the upper right that switches between the notification shade and the Quick Settings--you should see the Settings icon there. (You can also bring down the Quick Settings menu by swiping down from the top with two fingers instead of one.)

Once in the System Settings menu, tap Sound, then uncheck Vibrate on Touch.

If you want to turn off the vibration feedback when you're typing, then go to System Settings>Language & Input, and then tap the setting icon next to your keyboard. You should see options to turn off vibration in that menu.

2) it seems that I have to press an icon once, so it gets a yellow square around it, then I can double click to open the feature, but that doesn't work with the home button - am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the phone?
    That isn't normal functioning of the homescreen. It sounds like you might have an Accessibility feature turned on. Go to System Settings>Accessibility, and see if anything has been turned on there.

3) I'm migrating my number to a new micro sim and o2 told me it could take 24 hours - but I have to type in my list of contacts. I'm used to a normal button type keyboard and can't seem to get the numbers or letters to register..... what am I doing wrong, please?
    I would consider entering your contacts into your Google account (google.com/contacts), rather than only having them stored locally on the phone. There are a number of advantages of using Google Contacts:

1. They sync automatically with any device you have that is logged into the same Google account.
    2. If the phone gets lost or malfunctions, you'll still have all of your contacts safely stored in your Google account in the cloud.
    3. It's a lot easier to type all of your contact information using your computer than on your phone.

For more introductory information, see this guide: [GUIDE] Getting Started with Android (2014)
    Thanked by:
    isdaako likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Newbie with questions - Moto G - please be patient with me if I ask stupid questions !

Thank you ever so much B Diddy - you're a star. The vibration finally ended when I looked on the Accessibilty section and found that in addition to the other sound and vibration options, "vibration feedback", "sound feedback" and some other boxes had also been ticked - it meant that even tilting the phone made it vibrate..! I guess that is the peril of buying "new other".. when someone else has had a few goes with the phone before you get it. I can now report that the phone is blissfully silent after trying intermittently for 11 hours to resolve this !!

You were right about the yellow square - that has now gone too and the phone is much more responsive, only needing one tap rather than three.

I will certainly also use your suggestion of storing contacts via google - a standard keyboard makes data entry much easier than on the phone...
    B. Diddy likes this.

Something to note on the keyboard; if you press and hold on a button, you will get what ever is on the alternate. For example, press and hold the lower case q, and get a one (at least on my American keyboard layout). There should also be a button that you can press that will put the numbers on top, if you have to type a lot of numbers rather that letters.

Sent from my 7" Galaxy Tab 2 GT P3113