Can someone help me with a few Moto G Question(s)?

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Moto G Question(s)

I have a Moto G, first generation. My service provider is U.S. Cellular, and I am on the $50/month pre-paid plan. I have eagerly been awaiting the Lollipop update, however Im a bit confused as to whether or not I will be getting it. The reason I say this is because in my app list, I have the Motorola Update Services app, which is telling me it needs an update. However, when I go to update it, I receive a message saying "Your device isnt compatible with this version". The app was pre-loaded onto my phone when I purchased it about 6 months ago. I am still running 4.4.2 and have never received any updates. Is it possible that since it is a pre-paid device, I will NOT be getting any upgrades in operating systems? I have asked in store at U.S. Cellular and aside from the "you should get it soon" answers, all I am told is to "buy another phone and go on a monthly service plan instead of pre-paid". If anyone has some information regarding this, I would greatly appreciate it. If you need more system information, I would be glad to supply it as well. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moto G Question(s)

What's your system version? You can check that in settings - about phone.

Have you checked for system updates in those settings?

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

What's your system version? You can check that in settings - about phone.

Have you checked for system updates in those settings?

Yes I have checked for system updates, and it always says that it is up to date.
My system version is the following: 173.44.9.falcon_cdma.USC.en.US

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

I have the same update issue!

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 3486.jpg
    3486.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 3487.jpg
    3487.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 54

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I have a Moto G, first generation. My service provider is U.S. Cellular, and I am on the $50/month pre-paid plan. I have eagerly been awaiting the Lollipop update, however Im a bit confused as to whether or not I will be getting it. The reason I say this is because in my app list, I have the Motorola Update Services app, which is telling me it needs an update. However, when I go to update it, I receive a message saying "Your device isnt compatible with this version". The app was pre-loaded onto my phone when I purchased it about 6 months ago. I am still running 4.4.2 and have never received any updates. Is it possible that since it is a pre-paid device, I will NOT be getting any upgrades in operating systems? I have asked in store at U.S. Cellular and aside from the "you should get it soon" answers, all I am told is to "buy another phone and go on a monthly service plan instead of pre-paid". If anyone has some information regarding this, I would greatly appreciate it. If you need more system information, I would be glad to supply it as well. Thank you in advance!

I suspect the prepaid Moto G for US Cellular and the post-paid Moto G for US Cellular both have the same firmware - unless the prepaid is 3G only. I know they offer the LTE version too.

(Note the Verizon and Boost Prepaid Moto Gs get updates. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/97322/p/30,6720,9050)

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

I have the same update issue!

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes it is very frustrating. I just wish I could find a concrete answer as to whether or not its going to be available to me or not. It seems like no matter where I look, I cant find a definitive answer, so I thought I would try this site. I didnt think being on pre-paid would make a difference, and Im hoping that I am right.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Yes I have checked for system updates, and it always says that it is up to date.
My system version is the following: 173.44.9.falcon_cdma.USC.en.US

The "USC" in the version means that you depend on US Cellular for a new update. I think they are the only ones that can help you with this problem.

I remember seeing a list with all the versions for Moto G. I'll try to find it again.

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

The "USC" in the version means that you depend on US Cellular for a new update. I think they are the only ones that can help you with this problem.

I remember seeing a list with all the versions for Moto G. I'll try to find it again.

Excellent. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it and look forward to your information if you can find it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Motorola has to work on an update before USC can do anything with it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Motorola has to work on an update before USC can do anything with it.

I'm not sure about that. He's still at 4.4.2. I don't even know if being on CDMA makes a difference but my guess is that US Cellular has everything on his hands to make an update for 4.4.4. at least.

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure about that. He's still at 4.4.2. I don't even know if being on CDMA makes a difference but my guess is that US Cellular has everything on his hands to make an update for 4.4.4. at least.

So, what steps should I take now? It doesnt make any sense that US Cellular hasnt updated my device. Is it an issue where I have to keep going to the store until someone does something about it perhaps?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Here's the thing. The carriers don't make the updates. The OEMs do.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

So, what steps should I take now? It doesnt make any sense that US Cellular hasnt updated my device. Is it an issue where I have to keep going to the store until someone does something about it perhaps?

..because Motorola has to make the update for USC.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

So I basically have to wait for Motorola to get it in gear and make the update for USC? Great. Why do I have a feeling this is going to take forever.
No offense, but Lollipop has only barely hit the marketplace yet. It isn't even reflected in the Android distribution stats yet. Only a handful of non-Nexus phones have it, and there were quite a few bug reports anyway. Be glad that your phone won't receive 5.0.0 but will likely get 5.0.1 (or 5.0.2 if/when that happens) instead.

There is a version of the Moto G (1st Gen) that has already received Lollipop. There was at least one additional soak test reported. Motorola is one of the fastest OEMs in this area. It may not happen this month or even next month for you, but as long as USC doesn't hold things up on its end, you'll be getting it soon enough.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This is a nice article about the whole process of a system update. It's over a year old but I don't think that things have changed so much.

Why Android Updates Are So Slow

That's great but Motorola basically shattered the three to six month carrier window. When the Verizon Moto X (2013) gets a KitKat OTA or a Verizon Moto X (2014) before a lot of Nexus models and all the current GPes, "relying on your carrier" is moot.

The OEM has to get the code from AOSP.

Because Motorola (Moto G GPe, Nexus 6), Samsung (Galaxy S4 GPe), LG (Nexus 4, Nexus 5, G Pad 8.3 GPe), HTC (Nexus 9, One GPe, One M8 GPe), and Sony (Z Ultra GPe) are all a part of either the Nexus or Google Play edition programs, they have "early" access to AOSP source code.

After the OEM is available get the code from AOSP, they need to port AOSP to their platform. Software development and test resources are needed to do this work.

As a company, do you have your resources updating Android for devices you've already sold and made money on or do you have your resources working on the next product?

For carrier versions, when it's ready, those builds are submitted to carrier testing labs. Then they have their test resources on those builds. If it passes, it gets pushed. If it doesn't, back to the OEM. Note: I've heard there are some carriers who will send a build back once they find one issue, as in they stop testing the rest and send it back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463