Operator Data not working post the Lollipop Update

Nitin CR

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a Moto G first gen, yday night got the update and its done, however post which the operator data is NOT working. Its just WiFi which is working.
What I have done:
Updated to Lollipop - Thru WiFi
Checked - Operator Data Not Working

Solutions which I did, which was recieved from Google Plus community & Moto Care Agent (Live Chat)
1. Cleared Cache
2. Did a soft reset & rebooted With Sim & Without Sim
3. Did a hard reset & rebooted with Sim & Without SIM

I have been trying all methods to get this going, but of no use. Kindly help! I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Kit Kat now!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean by Operator Data? Do you mean mobile data (3G/4G)? Have you checked your APN settings to make sure they match your carrier's settings?

Nitin CR

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
The latest feedback, is they agree that they have this issue, & said they are working on it & would be resolved soon, when asked how soon? They had no reply

Nitin CR

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
An update:

Spoke to Moto care again as its been now three days since the update. They asked me to visit a local authorized service ctr, which I did. Being there one of the executives at the ctr told me that they would need the pone for about a week as they have to check the mother board! I was surprised as why that, when it was working very well till the update. So he said they would check & also check the s/w to see for issues.

I'm a little not happy about the whole thing & Im yet to give this phone there. So any thoughts? Or do you have any updates?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If Javier P's suggestion doesn't pan out, then go with the Moto service center. If it were me, I'd be glad they agreed it was a problem and would look into it in that much detail. It would presumably be covered under warranty. It's much better than having a store tell you there's no problem, or that there isn't anything they can do!

Nitin CR

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
If Javier P's suggestion doesn't pan out, then go with the Moto service center. If it were me, I'd be glad they agreed it was a problem and would look into it in that much detail. It would presumably be covered under warranty. It's much better than having a store tell you there's no problem, or that there isn't anything they can do!

Im not sure Im still pondering on the fact why did they say it would be an issue with the mother board? The other issue with my phone is SIM 1 slot is not working as my son tampered it & so my warranty is lost.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Im not sure Im still pondering on the fact why did they say it would be an issue with the mother board? The other issue with my phone is SIM 1 slot is not working as my son tampered it & so my warranty is lost.

Being a dual SIM there's a couple of things you could try. Maybe the update changed you previous settings.

Go to settings - SIM cards. Tap on "mobile data", not on the switch, on the text. A little menu will pop up. Make sure that the right sim is checked.

After that check that "preferred network type" is correct (2g for the broken slot and 3g for the one you use). This is in settings - more - mobile network - swipe between tabs.

Nitin CR

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Being a dual SIM there's a couple of things you could try. Maybe the update changed you previous settings.

Go to settings - SIM cards. Tap on "mobile data", not on the switch, on the text. A little menu will pop up. Make sure that the right sim is checked.

After that check that "preferred network type" is correct (2g for the broken slot and 3g for the one you use). This is in settings - more - mobile network - swipe between tabs.

Whn i tap on the text of mobile data on the SIM, there is no menu popping up, I can select the SIm which would just take me to the colour of the SIM & an option to change the SIM name. The SIM1 where I dont have a SIM card inserted (As it doesnt work) is not highlighted.

Benjamin Mackie

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Try booting into Lollipop safe mode and then switch on data and then automatically register on your preferred network.

Then switch off phone and reboot into normal mode.

This solved the prob for me.

Boot into safe mode: Switch off phone as normal but when the dialogue comes up, press and hold this dialogue.

Nitin CR

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Try booting into Lollipop safe mode and then switch on data and then automatically register on your preferred network.

Then switch off phone and reboot into normal mode.

This solved the prob for me.

Boot into safe mode: Switch off phone as normal but when the dialogue comes up, press and hold this dialogue.

Im going to try this tonight! thanks for the update

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am exactly facing the similar problems like your but the phone is moto E.

The SIM 1 slot is not working as I played with different SIM insertions.
The mobile date is not working at all after upgrading to lollipop. This is the major issue.

Have you resolved the issues in your phone?

Thanks,
Sarmano.

Jaimini P

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Your son is innocent. Even I doubted my son in the beginning, until I saw in the forums that a number of people who did this update had the same issue. I have the following problems.

SIM slot 1 not recognized
Mobile internet (data) does not work

If you have a solution, please post it so that everyone can benefit from that. None of the methods i came across in forums worked for me yet.

Looby18

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Your son is innocent. Even I doubted my son in the beginning, until I saw in the forums that a number of people who did this update had the same issue. I have the following problems.

SIM slot 1 not recognized
Mobile internet (data) does not work

If you have a solution, please post it so that everyone can benefit from that. None of the methods i came across in forums worked for me yet.

I had this issue and found that the lollipop upgrade had defaulted mobile data to 'off'. I went into 'settings' then 'data usage' and chose the mobile data tag. Then set mobile data on. This sorted it for me

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969