Moto G 1st gen is randomly losing signal, how can I stop this?

Comerman

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Moto G 1st gen is randomly losing signal

Hi Folks, my Moto G 1st gen is randomly losing its signal. When I'm in my home I only get 2g which I put dow to building interference etc. but last night I was at a sports field (wide open space with no obstructions) and my signal was randomly changing from H+ to H to 3G to R to no signal at all, even now as I type it's doing the same thing. My network provider "Three Ireland" say they have no issues with signal strength etc. I'm on android 5.0.2 if that's any help.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moto G 1st gen is randomly losing signal

It could be a problem with the SIM card. Power your phone off and reinsert the card.

If that problem started just after the Lollipop update you could try wiping the cache partition. It's safe and you won't loose any information. This instructions for the Moto X should work.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=465537

Just be aware that the process could take almost 10 minutes. Be patient and don't worry, just make sure that your battery is at least 50% full. Tell me if you have any problem with that process.

Comerman

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the quick reply Javier P, I changed provider last Feburary and to be honest the signal hasn't been great and there seems to be a lot of people on the network complaining about the same thing but the provider is denying any problems. I'm on my third sim with them and I've wiped the cache a few times already but got no joy. The reason I've asked here is a google search showed a lot of Moto G users having similar problems so I don't know if it's the phone or provider that's my problem.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

It seems that the problem could be on their side. If you can use that SIM card in a different phone for a day or so that will help to find the culprit.

Next time you have that problem switch airplane mode on and back off. See if that makes a difference and H+ is back.

Comerman

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

Switched the sim to an old moto E that I had and guess what? same issue so it's back to the provider :-\