MotoG Security Update!!!!

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, was not expecting that, but our original MotoG unlocked purchased from the Motorola store just got a security update OTA that brought it up the Android security patch level 3/1/2016. Yeah, that's a month behind, but wow, I figured they had abandoned this phone. That was a pleasant surprise. Only wish they could continue the security patches for another year. Great phone, and everything new is either big or has horrid battery life.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Good news! I thought that this little great phone was abandoned too. I still use it as my backup device.

Last edited:

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Just got prompted for this update on my XT1028 (VZW 1st Gen). No idea how far the security update goes since it is in the process of installing now..

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
My wife got one last nite on our VZW Moto G prepaid. Surprised beyond belief.....first that a phone this old is still being supported, and second that it is VZW!! Installing mine now. (Yes, we have 2 of these..it meets our needs, so we still use it)

markf1971

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I keep getting the following message:

Install system update
New version 221.201.2.en.US

Is this the same update that y'all mentioned? I'm hesitant to do it as I had problems with my last phone after doing an update. How has your phone worked since you updated it? Anything I need to know or do before I attempt to update?

Thanks!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Got the update as well. Brazilian model unlocked. I think it's just the March security patch. Very small download ~8mb.

Attachments

• 1461015330019.jpg
    1461015330019.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 19

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I installed it a couple of hours ago and I don't use that phone very much, so not much help there. The installation went smooth and it took about 10-15 minutes to complete.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good job.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

redsandvb

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been hesitant to do the update. Have you had any issues with your phone since you updated yours?

I installed it the other day, but like Javier, I use it in a limited capacity. In fact, I'm using it as a wifi only device in airplane mode.

So far, though, haven't noticed any problems

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
It was the March 2016 update here as well (VZW Moto G 1st Gen). Installed easily. Went through the app-by-app update and came back fine. Works just as well as it did before the update.

mikelemke

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I've been getting the same message. I'm reluctant to update because the last time I updated the operating system, it really messed up my phone.

Does anyone know how to decline the update and remove the update message?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It was an April 1, 2016 update for my unlocked 1st Gen. Moto G LTE. Started getting the notifications yesterday (June 1st).

After not finding a bunch of negative comments, I went ahead with it. Did a cache clear, after, just to be on the safe side. Everything, incl. my ASUS ZenWatch 2, seems to be working fine.

Jim