Moto G (second generation): Lollipop is coming

hbreal

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Moto G XT1068, Lollipop?

Hi everyone,

When I go to System Updates on my Moto G (XT1068 version), I am told that everything is up to date, but I'm still on 4.4.4. I'd be interested to know, has anyone else with this model received an update yet?

Thanks!

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lollipop 5.0.1 for the XT1064 US GSM Version

I am also on the same version as you. So I too could not update to 5.0.1 in the end. I have a white XT1064 US GSM stock device. Purchased in Nov 2014.

System 21.11.17 titan_retuaws.retuaws.end.US retus
Build KXB21.85-17

Not sure why the OTA from Moto has not yet made it to my phone? I know they release in batches but its been quite some time now. Since 5.0.1 fixes all the bugs I was hoping to have it by now.

Posted via the Android Central App

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

I am also on the same version as you. So I too could not update to 5.0.1 in the end. I have a white XT1064 US GSM stock device. Purchased in Nov 2014.

System 21.11.17 titan_retuaws.retuaws.end.US retus
Build KXB21.85-17

Not sure why the OTA from Moto has not yet made it to my phone? I know they release in batches but its been quite some time now. Since 5.0.1 fixes all the bugs I was hoping to have it by now.

IMO, the full 5.0.1 update for our .17 version has not yet been released at all. If we were, I believe someone on XDA would have captured and posted it. Also, the first 5.0.1 was a patch for those already on 5.0. It was only a 50 odd meg file or so. The full 4.4.4->5.0.1 file for .23 phones in this thread is some 350 megs.

EDIT: There is firmware out there, if you want, that will take our .17 to .23. Then (maybe!) you'd get the OTA. Or at the very least, you could use this file posted here. Thread where the .17 -> .23 is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...rversion-21-11-23-titanretuaws-t2982339/page3

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto G XT1068, Lollipop?

Once the carrier starts releasing the update, it's released a few phones at a time, so as to not clog up the network. Even if everyone on your block has received it, you may not receive it for a couple of months. Guessing when you'll get yours is guessing a number between two random and unknown numbers. Finding a needle in an empty box with no needle in it is easier.

wildecard

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Has anyone updated OTA to 5.0 yet?

No, not true. The carrier has nothing to do with updates on this phone. Only branded phones go through carrier updates. If you bought your phone through a prepaid company, then it will go through the carrier, but NOT this phone.

That is one of the main reasons that people buy Nexus devices, so that they do not have to get updates through the carriers. Moving your sim card to another phone will NOT get you lollipop any quicker. I have my Moto G through Cricket (purchased through Motorola) and I already received the Lollipop 5.0.1 update. If I really had to wait for cricket to OK it I would never receive the update.

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

No, not true. The carrier has nothing to do with updates on this phone. Only branded phones go through carrier updates. If you bought your phone through a prepaid company, then it will go through the carrier, but NOT this phone.

That is one of the main reasons that people buy Nexus devices, so that they do not have to get updates through the carriers. Moving your sim card to another phone will NOT get you lollipop any quicker. I have my Moto G through Cricket (purchased through Motorola) and I already received the Lollipop 5.0.1 update. If I really had to wait for cricket to OK it I would never receive the update.

Finally, someone who understands

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

I understand the logic behind what y'all are saying but I can not find anyone from the companies to agree

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

If you buy an unbranded, unlocked phone from outside the carrier, it is guaranteed to get updates from the manufacturer directly. Your carrier would have nothing to do with it.

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

Then why is Motorola saying they don't do the update they told me repeatedly they have nothing to do with the update I don't believe that but I am just saying what I have been told

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

IMO, the full 5.0.1 update for our .17 version has not yet been released at all. If we were, I believe someone on XDA would have captured and posted it. Also, the first 5.0.1 was a patch for those already on 5.0. It was only a 50 odd meg file or so. The full 4.4.4->5.0.1 file for .23 phones in this thread is some 350 megs.

EDIT: There is firmware out there, if you want, that will take our .17 to .23. Then (maybe!) you'd get the OTA. Or at the very least, you could use this file posted here. Thread where the .17 -> .23 is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...rversion-21-11-23-titanretuaws-t2982339/page3

Thanks. I prefer waiting for the official update from Motorola via an OTA to my device. I still have not received it. Seems strange given so many other models got it by now.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Then why is Motorola saying they don't do the update they told me repeatedly they have nothing to do with the update I don't believe that but I am just saying what I have been told

Generally, reps don't know what they are talking about. They'd only be correct if you bought the phone with an AT&T logo on it. Take the Moto X, for example. The Pure Edition (no branding) already has lollipop. So does the VZW version. But the AT&T version never got it yet.

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

Ok you guys have officially won me over on this one. what yall are saying is making allot more since than the reps where.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Motorola customer service is very poorly trained? I just don't get it. I called today and explained that I have a Moto G 2014 (gen 2) purchased direct from Motorola. I then explained I have the white version with system 21.11.17 and was looking to clarify if an OTA update was released etc. Moto rep puts me on hold and then eventually tells me that the OTA would have to come from T-mobile and not Moto? I further explained this is not correct----as its carrier independent etc. He says there is no other info he has. Waster of time.

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

That's what they told me!!!!! And I am in the same situation as well.

Posted via the Android Central App on note 3, moto g, moto 360, s4, s3, HTC, vivid

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

That's what they told me!!!!! And I am in the same situation as well.

Posted via the Android Central App on note 3, moto g, moto 360, s4, s3, HTC, vivid

Well that info is wrong. We should get it regardless of carrier. In fact with no SIM and just WiFi....we could get it.

007skhan

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
lollipop OTA for moto g 2nd gen XT1068

Today is December 31 tomorrow is new year and no lollipop here for moto g 2nd gen XT1068. Anyone know when it will available officially. What is the problem that why Motorola is not releasing it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: lollipop OTA for moto g 2nd gen XT1068

Today is December 31 tomorrow is new year and no lollipop here for moto g 2nd gen XT1068. Anyone know when it will available officially. What is the problem that why Motorola is not releasing it.

The update is rolled out over the air (OTA) in phases. Not every Moto G user will receive it at the same time. However, you may be able to connect your device to Moto's desktop manager and manually update that way.

If you want to wait for the OTA be patient, it could take a few more days or possibly week(s), depending on their rollout schedule.

hbreal

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

Ok, thanks. Out of interest though, as I bought the phone unlocked, and it's dual-SIM, does this thing with carriers still apply? If so, with which sim?

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

That is a good point. I would think that for dual sims Motorola would be the one to push out the update.

Poky23

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

I'm getting very frustrated with how long it's taking. I used to be an Apple fanboy and enjoyed updates being rolled out like clockwork. I changed to Android and got this phone thinking it would likely receive updates early like the Nexus line, but this is just ridiculous. They could at least give everyone some kind of timeline if the reason is due to a staggered rollout.