Is this Phone really this slow or do I need a replacement??

Omar Zahran

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello Android world!

I am a long time Windows Phone user and recently decided to make the switch to Android. Now, I'm on no contract and didn't have a bunch of money to spend on a new phone so I decided to go with the Moto G (2014) because of its price, the fact it already had Lollipop, and how well it was reviewed by the tech media. So a couple of weeks ago I went out to Best Buy and went ahead and bought it for $180.

At first I was in love, the phone felt great in the hand and the size was perfect for me. But then I started experiencing issues. The phone lags like no other. I would go to launch an app, and it sometimes take 15-20 seconds for the app to even open. Sometimes the phone won't even register that I tapped on something, and the keyboard (have been using Google Keyboard) seems to lag quite a bit and misses entries. At first I thought it was the fact that the phone needed to be broken in a bit, but it hasn't gotten any better.

I have tried clearing the cache partition, multiple hard resets, even deleted the Facebook app because I have read that that slows down devices. Is this common with this phone? Should I make a warranty claim on the device or get a more powerful device? Thank you for your help in advance!!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not normal. The new Moto devices are some of the fastest Android phones you can get. I'd make a claim on it :)

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
My Moto G doesn't have a lag issue, but I'm still on KitKat and only use it as a backup. I'd make a warranty claim and see if the replacement device has the same issue.

Sent from my G2 running SlimKat

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Depends on how you define slow. Keep in mind its not a high end flagship phone. However overall it runs fine with really no noticeable lag

Omar Zahran

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I had lowered expectations, I wasn't expecting beastly performance. But I think taking 20 seconds to load an app like Play Store or Snapchat is not normal lol. I processed the exchange yesterday, hopefully it will arrive soon!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Still, wish they would've just put 2GB of RAM in the Moto G and been done with it.

It's the best sub $250 phone by far. Gotta shave cost somewhere, and the RAM doesn't seem to be an issue on it.

Anything above $400 though, should without a doubt have 2GB+

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Something definitely isn't right. I have the first gen moto g and that isn't normal for sure to take 15-20 seconds to load play store.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's the best sub $250 phone by far. Gotta shave cost somewhere, and the RAM doesn't seem to be an issue on it.

Anything above $400 though, should without a doubt have 2GB+
The Redmi Note 4G is $160 and has 2gb ram, and snapdragon 400 processor.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure they're also making less profit off of it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Lollipop 5.0.2
No doubt though it is a better deal for most users, who don't care directly about how much profit companies make,only the best device for the money.