Battery issue?

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I have a new Moto G 2nd gen not even a month old but today it was at like 40-50% charge and I had put it on charging but when I noticed later, it was at 1%. I've put it at charging at a different plug point (using the charger that came with the box) but it's still stuck on 1%.
I haven't tried turning it off or restarting because I'm scared that it won't turn on again.

I'm running Lollipop and not KitKat. My battery graph is attached to this post. I'll try using the other chargers I have and post if there's any improvement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-22-15-46-24.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-22-15-46-24.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 21

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok so all of a sudden my phone is now showing 100% battery, out of the blue...

What the hell happened and how can I prevent it from happening again? The place where I bought it from has a 30 day replacement guarantee so should I get it replaced or what?

EDIT:
Spoke to Motorola chat support and the person asked me to wipe the phone's cache partition. Let's hope this issue doesn't repeat itself.

But if you guys think I should get the phone replaced then tell me. I need to be sure that there isn't an issue with the charger or the battery...

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had one or two sudden drops in charge on devices (not Motos). Whether it's a reporting fault or a battery fault I don't know, but on an oldish phone that I don't use very much I'm not worried. But with your new Moto, if the Cache Partition wipe, and possibly as a last resort a Factory Reset, don't fix it, get it repaired or replaced under the terms of the warranty.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Every time I took out the charger, I got a notification saying that the battery is down to 1% and if I'd like to turn on battery saver...

So I've done a cache partition wipe. I'll wait and see if it happens again.My only concern is that there's a 30 day replacement policy at the place of purchase and 10 days are already over...

An app that provides statistics on charging and discharging rate would be helpful. You've owned a Lumia so you should know how all the stats were displayed in the 'Battery Sense' app on Windows Phone 8.1... Anything similar on Android that you would recommend?

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'd say you need to get the replacement because, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 had a problem similar to yours. Mine would show that the tablet was say at 90% after I turned it off and back on, when in fact I took a screen shot before shutting it of showing it at 80%. So the battery must have a defect, or the charger, or the phone. So just to be safe you should get the replacement because something else could happen when that 30 day warranty is over. I hope this helps!! Good luck!!

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Well I would go for the replacement in a jiffy but for all you know it might be an issue with Motorola itself. A simple goggle search of the phrase "Moto g stuck at 1% battery" well give you an idea of how widespread this problem is. I hope the upcoming Lollipop 5.1 update addresses this issue and if today's incident repeats itself, I'll apply for a replacement ASAP. Just hope that if a repeat of the issue does have to happen, it happens before the 30 days are up...

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok so yesterday night I used my Nokia Lumia 520 charger with my Moto G2 and here's the comparison of the charging rates with the same phone settings:

Moto G2 Charger: From 45% to 70% in one hour (25% increase)
Nokia Lumia Charger: From 60% to 80% in half an hour (20% increase)

So I think something's wrong with the charger that came with the phone. I suppose I could ask for replacement of only the charger? Please suggest...

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys... I need assistance...

I asked the seller to replace the entire set and they said they would do it within 3-4 days... So how do I backup all my photos, data, apps, messages and everything?

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

Thanks, that should help me out...

And after I receive my replacement phone, do you suggest updating to Lollipop or staying put with KitKat till 5.1 comes out? I just want decent battery life.

One other problem I face is suppose I'm browsing Chrome and I press the home button, the home screen and the icons take some time to load... Is this the beginning of many things to come? I hope not...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That lag and redraws when leaving Chrome is nothing to worry much about. In the Moto G it happens much less after Lollipop. You can reduce that not leaving too many tabs open in chrome and it's good to clean the cache from time to time through settings, apps, Chrome. Using a custom launcher can reduce the redraws as well.

Unless you hate how lollipop looks I'd recommend you to upgrade. Works great in my phone.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
That lag and redraws when leaving Chrome is nothing to worry much about. In the Moto G it happens much less after Lollipop. You can reduce that not leaving too many tabs open in chrome and it's good to clean the cache from time to time through settings, apps, Chrome. Using a custom launcher can reduce the redraws as well.

Unless you hate how lollipop looks I'd recommend you to upgrade. Works great in my phone.

I normally don't use more than one tab, but have still noticed it happening... Isn't it ironic that using a custom launcher reduces redraws lol... Usually launchers are the culprits behind lags and redraws right?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I normally don't use more than one tab, but have still noticed it happening... Isn't it ironic that using a custom launcher reduces redraws lol... Usually launchers are the culprits behind lags and redraws right?

Not really. Some launchers, as Nova, have this "aggressive desktop" option that reduces redraws.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Not really. Some launchers, as Nova, have this "aggressive desktop" option that reduces redraws.

I'll give the launchers a try sometime... My replacement phone should be delivered by tomorrow. I hope that buying a Moto G (2014) wasn't a waste of money and that it lasts for at least a year more... I'm not saying that because it's a bad phone, but because I purchased it a tad too late... Hope the OS updates don't stop...

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
OK so I've got the replacement phone and to my surprise, it ALREADY has Lollipop installed on it... Should I be suspicious? Because when I ordered it 2 weeks back it came with KitKat on it and I had to update it to Lollipop. The packaging and everything was intact, but it is it possible that the seller just handed me a phone that was returned by some other buyer? Or are Moto G 2nd Gens shipping with Lollipop installed now?

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The packaging was intact. Is the phone new in appearance? Sounds like your seller came through for you in good order with your prior complaint, I don't see why you are suspicious at this point. Relax and enjoy the phone.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Well the seller kinda had to since they have a 30 day replacement guarantee... The surprise pre-installed lollipop is the only reason for my suspicion... The phone does look new in appearance... Hope I don't face any charging issues this time...