How can I get rid of an Android Virus popup?

Air121riA

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Android Virus popup

A few minutes ago I clicked on a link on facebook on my mobile phone. A site poped up called: exclusive.mobile-alerts-00.com. A message said that I had a virus called Tapsnake. Before actually thinking about it I clicked OK. Than it said that I could scan my phone (there was also an android symbol and stuff). I scanned it, it still said that I had the virus. It gave me the option to download a program that would delet the virus. A little late maybe, but at that point I didnt really trust it anymore.

Does somebody know what it was? Was it really android helping me or was it indeed something bad. And was the scanning via that site harmfull?

What do you advise me to do?

czechman90

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Android Virus popup

This is straight from the wiki site.

Tapsnake is a scareware scam involving coercion to buy protection from a non-existent computer virus that has been distributed in various ways.[1]

It was offered as a game, malware/spyware included transmitting sundry information, particularly GPS location information to unauthorized third parties.

The name Tapsnake comes from the computer game Snaker, which has been revised such that the 'snake' responds to touchscreen taps by the user. The game is the front end of a trojan, spyware. An unsuspecting mobile device user is persuaded to load the "fun, free app," and then the person who wishes to monitor their movements must load a version which enables reception of location reports at 15-minute intervals.[2]

The most recent incarnation is enabled by activating a pop-up ad on an otherwise innocuous website. The user then receives dire warnings as to what the virus may do to them, is offered protection at a price via download (to a mobile device), and is promised increased speed and performance as an additional perk. Android seems to be the operating system most targeted, though iOS attacks are also threatened. The actual game and embedded spyware do not seem to be present at all in this scenario, except in the form of a threat. Blog-advisors seem to agree that the safest course of action is to simply close the advert, 'clicking' on as few things as possible. The intent is to coerce to defraud, in this instance, and not to monitor movement.

I would do a virus scan useing kaspersky is the only one I use, am has not failed me yet. or use one of the free ones.Also use Malwarebytes as well.