Moving to SD Card

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a Moto G2 XT1064. I have a 32 gig SD card in it, but whenever I try to move apps to it, it either tells me I can't move the app, or when it actually does move, the app quits working altogether. When it quits working, the icon is a little Android guy. I contacted Motorola about this issue and they said that apps can't be moved over on this phone. Why is there an option in the settings then? Does anyone else have this issue, and is there a way to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone rooted? Are you seeing the Move to SD option in the Settings>Apps menu, after selecting an app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the card is corrupt or counterfeit, the move process might not work. Try a different card.

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I did that also, to no avail. It still shows the little green guy after I move the app, which then I have to uninstall and reinstall it.

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
What's screwy, there are some apps that are on my external card. I don't understand it. I try to limit downloading apps to save on what internal memory I have left in the app partition.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Some apps will automatically start using the external SD for storage. But I'm not sure why your phone isn't allowing apps to be moved.

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I put them there. I just happened to get lucky with the few I was able to move, haha. When I say a few, I mean, maybe five. Maybe there will be a fix with the Marshmallow update - whenever it comes. My girlfriend has the same exact phone, same exact SD card and has no problem moving apps. Why aren't all phones created equal? I do appreciate your help, though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm stumped.:( If it were a Samsung phone, I'd suggest reinstalling the firmware using Kies or Smart Switch. But Moto phones don't have an easy way to reinstall firmware.

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Not a problem. I love this phone though. Other than not being able to move apps, it's not bad. I love the dual front speakers. For it being a cheaper phone, it runs like a higher end phone, in my honest opinion. It's by far my favorite, and I have had a lot of phones.

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, the inevitable happened. Christmas Eve, out of the blue, I lost everything that was on my SD card. 800+ songs and I don't know how many pictures. Luckily, the pictures are in the cloud. I formatted the card through my phone and thought I would give it another day in court. It works great now! I moved all of the apps that I could move to it and it runs like a brand new old one now. Too bad I lost everything, but at least I can always get my music back and thanks to the cloud, I have my pictures.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon