Create SD as Internal, then copy data to it over USB or network?

A

AC Question

I have a Gen 2 Moto G with only 8G. I currently have a 32G SD card, with about 14G of music on it.

I recently updated to Marshmallow, and after a bit of fun (had to back up card, reformat, then recopy) I could see the SD card through USB and MTP mode.

I'd like to see how things work if I try formatting a card (I have a second one) as internal. The main issue is how could I put my music back on it? I did a quick test before, but the USB connection could only see the true internal memory, not the expanded memory.

Are there any tricks? Will it work with ES Explorer somehow?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Formatting an SD card as Internal Storage (i.e., adoptable storage) means the phone incorporates that SD into its own Internal Storage, and the card itself is no longer recognized as separate. If you remove the card, you could cause some significant glitches in apps, and possibly even the system. Read more here: Inside Marshmallow: Adoptable storage | Android Central

andyross63

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I know you cannot remove the card or anything like that. I'm just trying to find out if I can still copy files to/from the expanded memory via USB or network.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, because the card is no longer recognized as a separate entity--it's part of internal storage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae