What WiFi does the third generation Moto G support?

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
A point I haven't seen discussed is the Moto G's wifi. Specs say 802.11n, but one review says it's dual-band wifi. I'm confused. I thought a device had to be 802.11ac to manage the 5Ghz band. My 2013 Moto X was one of the first to handle 802.11ac, and I really don't want to give it up (live in a very active 2.4Ghz building). What's the situation?

rajamass

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: What wifi does the new Moto G support?

I struggled for 30mins for establishing Wifi connection when I opened for the first time

It did not detect my Wifi network at all

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

It is 802.11 b/g/n hence dual band
NO a or ac that means it is only has crappy 2.4ghz. I don't use 2.4ghz for anything no more. I have it turned off on all of my wireless devices. I can't even stream low bit rate music without constant buffering and even my old Epson printer right next to the router show offline after a while which is why I had to get rid of it and get a Canon printer that has a Ethernet port. Every one of my devices is 5ghz and the only way I will buy a signal band device like my printers is if it has a Ethernet port.

portablealpha

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

According to the specs on Moto's website, it's 2.4 GHz only. Go to Moto G (2015) - Unlocked Android Smartphone - Motorola and click View Full Specifications. Sad because, if true, this is a dealbreaker for me for the same reason as the OP. There are about 80 competing 2.4GHz networks in my building; practically no 5GHz ones.

So, any Moto G users have any evidence that it's actually dual-band? (And NO, just because it's N does not mean that it's dual-band!)

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

So, any Moto G users have any evidence that it's actually dual-band? (And NO, just because it's N does not mean that it's dual-band!)
I agree. I fell for that N junk years ago when I did not know anything about wireless. Very stupid decision to allow 2.4ghz on N at least they finally got smart and only allowed 5ghz on ac so that means if the device says a or ac then I know it has 5ghz support but if it only shows bgn then it is a not buy as it only has 2.4ghz support.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

I have a Moto G 2015 and an Dualband AC 1200 Router ($70 bucks at Walmart). The Moto G only has N and no AC as others noted. It very fast in my home though. No issues and keeps up with my wife's Samsung S4 that has AC. I don't see a noticeable difference. The router is a Netgear AC 1200 R6100 and the signal is dramatically better than the older N300 Netgear router. Having a strong signal is a key factor (2.4ghz goes father than 5 mhz).

portablealpha

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

Wireless N supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and in theory there is no difference in speed between the two. The practical difference, though, is that in a crowded city apartment building there are about 25 times as many 2.4GHz networks visible, so the interference is crazy. Not many people are running 5GHz, and a 5GHz network is more confined and gets less interference, so running on that band is much better in the city (even if you don't have 802.11ac hardware).

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

2.4ghz is unusable in my area for anything even printing or streaming low bit rate music. 5ghz or wired is all I can use in my area.

MattNA

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I looked at the spec as suggested and it's 2.4 GHz only. No 5 GHz at all. That's something i'll keep in mind the next time.

To bad too. My old phone downloaded apps and updates much quicker and I was on the hunt as to why. Found out.

Well, it looks like a router upgrade is in order for me. My 2.4 GHz band is only 300 MBps (mega bytes per second). Add the 5 GHz and it would have been 750 MBps. (N router, no AC)

A new router will get me 600 MBps on a 2.4 GHz band. The best I found so far.
Tip: having a valid reason to upgrade goes further.

Tarun kashyap

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site

Sir kindly let me know I also have the same situation. My moto x play is not detecting my wifi network but it detects others. Kindly reply with a positive answer.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Sir kindly let me know I also have the same situation. My moto x play is not detecting my wifi network but it detects others. Kindly reply with a positive answer.

Hello Tarun, welcome to the forums!

Can your phone detect any other network? Is your WiFi network included in your settings - WiFi list? If so, tap on it, select "forget" and try to connect again. Also, make sure in settings - WiFi - advanced - WiFi frequency band that "automatic" is checked.

Sometimes this kind of problems can be solved switching aeroplane mode on & off or rebooting the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance