Sudden Unexplained Audio from a DIY video(I think) Plays-Why?

Gayle C

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I've had this happen twice.
First time was a couple of weeks ago. I was sleeping, and suddenly my phone starts talking. It's a guy with a British accent explaining how to change some filter. It sounds like it's the audio to a DIY video. I unlocked the screen..and there is nothing unusual showing. According to the phone, it's just doing nothing but running the live screen. Nothing is showing on the notification bar. I had to shut the phone off to get it to stop playing.
Now the second time a few minutes ago. Again..I wasn't messing with the phone. Just sitting here reading stuff on my desktop computer. The cell starts talking..same guy, same subject. Again, the phone isn't showing any application that would do this is running. This time tho, I didn't have to shut off the phone. After about a minute, the audio stopped on it's own.
I don't ever recall doing a search, on my cell for how to change some filter, or ended up on a site about such a thing.
What is causing this?? Why is it randomly doing this?? How can I stop it?? :confused:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Spotify Beta installed by any chance? I've had issues with it lately where it randomly 'resumes' audio after being disconnected from BT headsets or a car audio system.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try running Ad Network detector apps (like Lookout's Ad Detector) to see if there are any apps that are pushing ads to your device.

Caddi Ranyard1

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
My phone (also a motog) did this today too - exactly the same in fact, presumably the same site as it was some male talking about using 'wet and dry sandpaper'.

Like the OP I was not using my phone at the time, and there were two apps running - when I closed the second app which was myfitnesspal the audio stopped. I have no idea if that is significant.

Caddi Ranyard1

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I have just been doing some research, thinkin that it might be my fitness pal and found this as a known issue.:

Bug: We have been notified that some members are receiving a banner ad that continues playing audio even when the MyFitnessPal app is in the background. We are working to get these removed as soon as possible. DROID

I think that might be the cause of my problem.

Gayle C

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I don't have that app on my phone. Glad you found the source of your problem. I've added an Ad Blocker, but since my problem was so random, I'll just have to wait and see if it cures it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could see if you have any apps from the same developer or that display banners like that. The issue might be with the banner advertiser, not the app per-se.

Gayle C

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Well, the Ad Blocker was useless. Was sitting at work, not even touching the phone, when an audio started playing. It was a different one this time. The odd thing is, these audio clips don't seem to be advertising anything. They are like DIY tips. I don't have any type of DIY app on my phone. Strange. I tried to install one of the Ad Detectors, but either it wouldn't install on my phone, or wouldn't run once installed. I have a Moto G Lite, and it's now running 5.1.