Moto G performance on T-Mobile without Band 12

gafftaper

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be taking advantage of T-Mobile's family plan and switching from Verizon. I am getting a Nexus 5x for my wife and I, but want to give my middle school son a cheaper phone. Moto G would be my first choice, but I'm concerned about its performance without Band 12. Unfortunately the alternatives for around $200 with band 12 are things like the Galaxy Grand Prime, LG Leon, or the Kyocera Hydra Wave... none of which get me excited.

How does the Moto G perform without Band 12? Is still pretty solid LTE speed?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be taking advantage of T-Mobile's family plan and switching from Verizon. I am getting a Nexus 5x for my wife and I, but want to give my middle school son a cheaper phone. Moto G would be my first choice, but I'm concerned about its performance without Band 12. Unfortunately the alternatives for around $200 with band 12 are things like the Galaxy Grand Prime, LG Leon, or the Kyocera Hydra Wave... none of which get me excited.

How does the Moto G perform without Band 12? Is still pretty solid LTE speed?
The Moto G does not support Band 12 LTE at all, so the performance is pretty bad. :)

Band 12 LTE support was removed from the Moto E and G at the request of T-Mobile, and T-Mobile is pushing all OEM's to remove Band 12 LTE from unlocked devices. Basically, if you want Band 12 LTE you need to get your device from T-Mobile.

Last edited:

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2015 G with T-Mobile. My area does not have Band 12 yet and the performance is just fine. Great speeds on LTE and solid connection throughout. The issues you will have is the areas VZW has coverage and T-Mobile does not. Though, that will depend on where you live of course.

Edit: Now I'm thinking about, some building penetration with LTE is a little weak, but not all buildings. Not sure if Band 12 would help that much or not.

Last edited:

bafare

May 15, 2014
Visit site
No worries about band 12 on T-Mobile. Hspa+ from T-Mobile is very fast so don't worry about LTE.

Posted via the Android Central App on Moto X 2014/Moto G3/Moto G1/Lenovo Tab S8/ Lenovo Yoga 11 on $35 Cricket wireless plan.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
The Moto G does not support Band 12 LTE at all, so the performance is pretty bad. :)

Band 12 LTE support was removed from the Moto E and G at the request of T-Mobile, and T-Mobile is pushing all OEM's to remove Band 12 LTE from unlocked devices. Basically, if you want Band 12 LTE you need to get your device from T-Mobile.

I wonder if it's just a 5.1 issue because my Nexus 6 picks up band 12 just fine. It really stinks because I just bought a Moto G 2015 that arrived today and wasn't aware of the problem with band 12 until it booted up and I had no signal at all in my office whereas my N6 does just fine. If its not coming back with 6.0 the G will unfortunately be going back.

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it's just a 5.1 issue because my Nexus 6 picks up band 12 just fine. It really stinks because I just bought a Moto G 2015 that arrived today and wasn't aware of the problem with band 12 until it booted up and I had no signal at all in my office whereas my N6 does just fine. If its not coming back with 6.0 the G will unfortunately be going back.

The Nexus 6 supports T-mobile's VoLTE, and they sell it as well so it's approved device... Very different scenario.

My previous statement was not speculation or guesswork, and this is not an "Android 5.1 issue", Google it and you will see several devices that originally had Band 12 LTE where asked by Tmo to have it removed but not every device like Nexus phones.

Lantesh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
My Moto G3 works just fine on Metro-PCS, which runs on the T-Mobile network. Lack of band 12 is not the end of the world. Yes band 4 doesn't penetrate buildings as well, but it hasn't been that critical of an issue for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87