PC can't access Moto G files

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
To enable Developer options go to Settings > About Phone > the last option is Build number
Tap the build number 7 times and Developer options will be enabled.

Developer options will be displayed in Settings above about phone

Paul_droid

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I thing many forget, including me, that when you plug in the USB cable, you then have to swipe the G3 screen top down and click on the USB notification and then choose files. Voila, they appear on windows.

This was it! Thankyou. So many notifications on the screen I didn't notice this and never would have. Tried all the USB changes and reboots etc but all I needed was to select "Use USB for Transfer Files (MTP)" This alert should come up above absolutely everything else on the phone

lexus 3

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
you were right about cable. whoever thought about having charging only cables. changed cable and now the computer recognises it but only the sd card. before my phone wouldn't use the sd card. driving me round the bend.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Mine is now being sent back to Motorola for this problem. It doesn't matter what I do with the software, connection is successful about once in thirty attempts. I presume it is a faulty USB port. This is the 2nd time the phone has been returned in two months since new. NOT IMPRESSED

tom doran

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I am having same issues , I can't access files on SD Card to Import. This is Totally unacceptable. Just got this Phone .I already want to return it

tom doran

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
OK It Works . You get a Notification on your screen. You don't know about it unless you swip down to see it aftwer you plug in USB.
This is a Little different but I can live with it. Long as it works LOL !

kellybaker71

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
You need to actually select PTP (picture transfer protocol) not as mentioned above. Your camera pictures will then show up in windows if you are connected via USB. Worked for me and i have Moto 4G 3rd gen.

You may have already sorted it, its taken me 6 months to figure it out...doing a factory reset to clean up phone!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I wish for more specifics. Like pull down what menu? On which Phone screen? Where on Phone?
Pull down the notification shade on the phone... It should work from any screen or application, just slide your finger down the screen from the top of the phone.

gavgargan

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Just as an addition. I have a Motorola 4th Gen without an external USB card. Installed the Motorola device driver.

The solution was culled from previous posts in that

1. Swiping from top of screen to bring up USB for File Transfer. Then choosing PTP, allow PC to install driver. Then repeat and swap back to MTP.

The bit that caught me out (my dumb moment) was that I could see all the directories and but there were no files in the Pictures directory. I thought it wasnt working but using PTP the pictures were there. I realised that pictures are actually in DCIM/Camera. Just a face saver for anyone looking on the wrong place like I was :)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I entered in developer mode by pressing 5 time on build number, how to come out from developer mode? i am using Moto g 4th gen.
How turn off developer mode? Just turn it off in the Developer Options menu, right at the top, then exit... It will no longer show in Settings.

Kinda off topic for this thread, and device, though.

DrewM_65

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! This worked for me.. I was really hoping for an easier experience. And yes, like another poster pointed out. Why isn't Motorola telling people how to do this? It shouldn't be this hard! I mean you could do a lot of damage to your phone in Developer Mode if you don't know what your doing.I remember it from my PlayBook and even Z30. I just want to transfer some music and ebooks?.. I'd recommend to turn off developer mode when your done. Only way I can access the phones storage anyways. And MTP was already enabled yet it still just wanted to just charge...Besides that I'm really liking my new Moto G Plus! Great phone great value. I almost bought the Galaxy S5 but after a week now I'm sure I made the right choice.Pretty slick midrange phone! Thanks again =)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! This worked for me.. I was really hoping for an easier experience. And yes, like another poster pointed out. Why isn't Motorola telling people how to do this? It shouldn't be this hard! I mean you could do a lot of damage to your phone in Developer Mode if you don't know what your doing.I remember it from my PlayBook and even Z30. I just want to transfer some music and ebooks?.. I'd recommend to turn off developer mode when your done. Only way I can access the phones storage anyways. And MTP was already enabled yet it still just wanted to just charge...Besides that I'm really liking my new Moto G Plus! Great phone great value. I almost bought the Galaxy S5 but after a week now I'm sure I made the right choice.Pretty slick midrange phone! Thanks again =)
Most people don't ever know developer mode exists, and you certainly don't have to go there to transfer filed... Motorola does not tell you how to do anything in there, but it's not really dangerous, remember not one of these settings survives a factory reset.

gogreengranite

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently having this problem with my Motorola Droid Turbo 2, tried this fix and didn't work, also tried USB debugging and it didn't work. Super frustrating

gogreengranite

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I found this on another forum and it worked:

This began for me soon after a recent phone update. Here is how I solved this problem; in my situation:
>Keep phone connected to the computer using USB cable
>Go to phone "Settings"
>Find and select "Developer options" on the settings menu list
>Choose "Select USB Configuration" - Mine was (and should be) set to "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)"
>Temporarily instead, select, "Charging" from the list
>Once changed, again re-select "Select USB Configuration"
>Change back to the original "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)" from the list
>As was my case, all was then recognized by the computer and my files/folders on the phone were now visible on my Windows based file window.

nigamprasad

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have tried all options mentioned above. Still my XT1068 Moto G 2nd Edition Marshmallow, does not show any data on PC except the name "XT1068". Pl guide.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21