PC can't access Moto G files

anon(9974156)

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Moto G 3rd gen - After following the directions in this thread several times my pc still sees the phone, but no files on the phone. It sees the sd card and it's files, but no files on the phone. I tried removing the sd card also, to see if I could force the issue, but that did nothing to help the situation.
How might I see and transfer files via usb from my phone to my pc?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Moto G 3rd gen - After following the directions in this thread several times my pc still sees the phone, but no files on the phone. It sees the sd card and it's files, but no files on the phone. I tried removing the sd card also, to see if I could force the issue, but that did nothing to help the situation.
How might I see and transfer files via usb from my phone to my pc?
You cleared data on Media Storage and External Storage and rebooted? Is your SD card adopted or portable?

Smols

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm experiencing the exact same issue on a Moto G 2nd Gen. I followed the steps to delete all data and clear cache on External Storage and Media Storage + rebooted.

My phone is Default on Charging only, but when I switch to Transfer files my PC can't find my SD-card at all. Before the cache-deleting etc. it found the card but no contents.

I have also tried to simply remove the card and replace it again after rebooting. My SD-card is portable.

Please help..! I really need to backup my photos.. <3

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing the exact same issue on a Moto G 2nd Gen. I followed the steps to delete all data and clear cache on External Storage and Media Storage + rebooted.

My phone is Default on Charging only, but when I switch to Transfer files my PC can't find my SD-card at all. Before the cache-deleting etc. it found the card but no contents.

I have also tried to simply remove the card and replace it again after rebooting. My SD-card is portable.

Please help..! I really need to backup my photos.. <3
Remove the card from the phone and place it in a PC.

Smols

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, acejavelin, I'll have to get a card reader and try that, because now my phone doesn't recognize my card either, it is as if it doesn't exist! :eek: I thought the tips above were safe :'( Does anybody know how to fix THAT issue?

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, acejavelin, I'll have to get a card reader and try that, because now my phone doesn't recognize my card either, it is as if it doesn't exist! :eek: I thought the tips above were safe :'( Does anybody know how to fix THAT issue?
The tips are safe... They do not effect mounting or any system level addressing of the card, they simply rebuild databases.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
When you inserted your SD card or upgraded to Marshmallow, it asked you if you wanted to setup your SD card as Portable storage, or as Internal storage... That is what I am referring to.

If you go to Settings - Storage, does it show your SD card under Internal or Portable storage.

If it is under Internal storage, it won't show up separately... it is "adopted" as internal storage and not a unique storage device anymore.

Nataliya1

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, you there are P E R F E C T..... MAny many THANKS, so easy and simple explaining.... I fix my issue with Computer with MotoE2(4G-LTE) !!!!

jerrymouse92

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Try these steps on Android 6 (Marshmallow):
  1. Connect MotoG3 to PC. Open Files Explorer>click MotoG3. If you do not see any files, follow steps below on your mobile.
  2. Goto Settings
  3. Click Developer options (enable it if not already enabled)
  4. Select USB Configuration
  5. Choose PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). Your PC will start installing some drivers. After few minutes you should see internal memory and external card in MotoG3. However you'd only be able to browse images. No other files.
  6. Choose MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) again. Now all files should be accessible again.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
To be honest this entire thread is outrageous. As consumers we are meant to be able to buy a phone, download a reasonable amount of apps, use it for calls/emails/texts/internet, without having to reformat memory cards and go into the depths of the settings. Motorola and Android have an awful of explaining to do.

I have no more than a dozen apps on my G3 and NO games, yet I have almost no memory left. After having to go through the bollocks of reformatting two SD cards, only to find that they do not show up when plugged into a PC, and not being able to transfer data on them, I am now having to go through the inconvenience and cost of returning my phone to Motorola. Frankly I am disgusted

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
When you inserted your SD card or upgraded to Marshmallow, it asked you if you wanted to setup your SD card as Portable storage, or as Internal storage... That is what I am referring to.

If you go to Settings - Storage, does it show your SD card under Internal or Portable storage.

If it is under Internal storage, it won't show up separately... it is "adopted" as internal storage and not a unique storage device anymore.

This is true, but when I have attempted to then put photos & music on the storage, the system will NOT use the adopted storage, and simply runs out. So what have done wrong ?

LloydChristmas

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
All you have to do is.....drop down menu------- and tell the phone what action you want to do. Charge only, transfer photos, or transfer files
Posted via the Android Central App on Moto G3 16/2 on $35 Cricket wireless plan.
-bafare

Well that was easy, LOL. Took me three seconds. Thanks!:D

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
So my phone has lost it's mind and I just want to grab my media before I factory restart but I have no drop down menu to tell the damn phone to share the data because well my home button and drop down menu no longer work at all for some messed up reason. This phone is garbage and now I need my data but I cannot get it.

Tell me about it !!. I had 3 attempts to format my card as adopted storage. When it eventually happened, and I clicked on "migrate" the phone crashed and won't reboot. I only had the bloody thing 4 days, and it has now been with Motorola for ages.

Joao Brito

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Here's what worked for me on my Moto G 2nd gen after Marshmellow:

1. Turn off phone

2. Remove SD card

3. Power on

4. Power off

5. Put SD card back in

6. Power on and let the phone recognize it.

7. Plug it into computer via USB, now I can slide down and choose USB to use MTP. Voila, it's all accessible on my computer.

Hope this helps.
SteelJan

Yes, it worked, tks!

anon(9974156)

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
No, I've done these directions several times and still can't see my phone via usb. And now the sd card crashed yesterday, no hope of retrival, and won't even format. I think the G3 3rd gen is a messed up phone. Do I try the g4 to see if it's better??? I've had the phone and sd card for less than a year. Not happy with this performance!