battery's draining??

Ripley

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Since I updated to marshmallow
My battery is shocking.. But that could be I had a 3rd party launcher
Today this morning was 100℅ by lunchtime it was 7%!! Now I know moto batteries are wonderful so I've gone back to stock Google launcher and lock screen
Hopefully that will sort it if not anyone have any tips
I'm in U.K.
thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
What do you see in your battery stats? Any app or system process taking an unusual high percentage? You could try wiping the cache partition on recovery and see if it helps.

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
might be a defective battery. but try clearing cache partition and also Settings>Location>three dot menu upper right hand corner>Scanning and make sure wifi scanning is off. Most third party launchers (at least the ones I've used and currently use) don't have a substantial effect on the battery life

Ripley

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
It says mobile standby 16% and Android OS 14% those 2 are the most is this normal? Up until today battery was very good I've only had phone a month

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to be daft but how do you clear cache?

No need to apologize mate :) Try these instructions by Motorola

https://motorola-mobility-en-in.cus...prod_answer_detail/a_id/105656/p/30,6720,9390

You could post a couple of screenshots with your battery stats so we can have a better idea of what's going on. Try this. After a full charge use your phone normally and when you have about 30% of battery left take a screenshot of these battery stats:

- Main battery stats.
- Tap on the graph to get signal and awake bars.
- Tap on Screen to see the SoT.

This guide will help you to post screenshots in the forums.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=413366
[GUIDE] How To Post Screenshots on Android Central

Ripley

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice I've filed it for future reference
I seemed to have solved it I had Go launcher Go locker and DU cleaner and phone booster going I got rid of them and went back to stock Google now launcher
Used phone exactly the same today and battery back to normal
I think I was running too many 3rd party apps
Thanks once again for all the advice!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice I've filed it for future reference
I seemed to have solved it I had Go launcher Go locker and DU cleaner and phone booster going I got rid of them and went back to stock Google now launcher
Used phone exactly the same today and battery back to normal
I think I was running too many 3rd party apps
Thanks once again for all the advice!

GO apps are horrible, stay away from them. You don't need any cleaners or boosters either, they have the opposite effect 99% of the time... Let the OS do what it needs to, this isn't the days of Froyo or Gingerbread anymore, Android handles things quite well on its own and apps like this just mess with its ability to properly manage things.

Ripley

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks yes I researched and nearly all experts say Go etc and battery savers do more harm than good
Moto operative system does it fine on its own
Esp with marshmallow etc there is absolutely no need for anything else
Lesson learnt!

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I had horrible battery when I upgraded to MM. I am afraid only a factory reset will fix it. I've gone from 1.5 hours of SOT to 4 hours and 20 minutes after and FDR.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I had horrible battery when I upgraded to MM. I am afraid only a factory reset will fix it. I've gone from 1.5 hours of SOT to 4 hours and 20 minutes after and FDR.

yes I had the same issue and only FR fixed it, MM is not bad, far from it, but 5.1.1 is good enough until we get 6.x.x officially or unofficially.

Ripley

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm I think I will have to factory reset.. Phone is still playing up battery again bad yesterday although OK today intermittent lagging..so I'll think I'll give it fr
Thanks once again everyone for all the advice

Ripley

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Update on battery life re marshmallow update since I've factory reset it'd been great
It is a bit of a pain but if you are having issues or glitches since updating then I would really recommend it
For me personally my phone is working beautifully
Thanks to everyone here who replied with great suggestions

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Update on battery life re marshmallow update since I've factory reset it'd been great
It is a bit of a pain but if you are having issues or glitches since updating then I would really recommend it
For me personally my phone is working beautifully
Thanks to everyone here who replied with great suggestions

I think performing a FR after a major upgrade should be done automatically (after backing up data) since it fixes almost every issue a major update might spring.

Ripley

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't agree more David only wished I'd done it sooner
Back up everything first and do it
Since I have its running like new
No lagging no glitches all my apps load faster really would recommend it

Paul Capewell

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for these details. I only tend to get around 4 hours SOT, which seems enough, but wonder if a factory reset might help with other issues.

I'm newish to Android, from iOS - when people do factory resets, do they then restore from the Google backup? Or might this reintroduce issues? Is it better to reset then manually restore apps and settings?

Also, for apps like Pocket Casts, if I restore from Google, will all the settings be restored too? Is this a per-app thing (i.e. the dev needs to have set it up to restore nicely?) I'm guessing I'd need to redownload any stored content.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for these details. I only tend to get around 4 hours SOT, which seems enough, but wonder if a factory reset might help with other issues.

I'm newish to Android, from iOS - when people do factory resets, do they then restore from the Google backup? Or might this reintroduce issues? Is it better to reset then manually restore apps and settings?

Also, for apps like Pocket Casts, if I restore from Google, will all the settings be restored too? Is this a per-app thing (i.e. the dev needs to have set it up to restore nicely?) I'm guessing I'd need to redownload any stored content.

I wouldn't be able to say because of how much it varies. Certain apps such as Android Central, and ask.fm automatically re-log you in, however others like Instagram and Snapchat are completely reset.