How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable ...

Not sure if you're gonna get a "stable" build unless there are some major, highly-reproducible bugs. The build that's out now will likely be the build until the next OS update.

Ian Morgan2

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable ...

For me, more secure means more stable, and the latest update couldn't come soon enough. I upgraded from MotoE because of the earlier contention as to whether it was gonna receive MM or not.
I downloaded the update at the first opportunity and understood that the SD incorporation was irreversible....Now on Tap's a boon...battery performance may be slightly improved...MotoG 3rd Gen with MM has been a joy famliiarizing with. Everything works a treat....no goin' back for me !

Posted via the Android Central App

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

I downloaded it, but have not installed it yet.

Stillcopper

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site

The 'deal-breaker' for me is the handling of SD card encryption. I don't want, and never want, to encrypt my SD card. I want to pull the card and access my pics from computer, yet install apps to it since my MotoGr2 only has 8gig native.
So.....give us full control of our phones. It's absolute BS that you force such things on the users. It's up to us if we want to encrypt.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

The 'deal-breaker' for me is the handling of SD card encryption. I don't want, and never want, to encrypt my SD card. I want to pull the card and access my pics from computer, yet install apps to it since my MotoGr2 only has 8gig native.
So.....give us full control of our phones. It's absolute BS that you force such things on the users. It's up to us if we want to encrypt.

I thought you could designate your SD card as "portable storage" and have it remain unencrypted.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I thought you could designate your SD card as "portable storage" and have it remain unencrypted.
You absolutely can... Marshmallow doesn't force you to use the card as internal storage, you can chose to use it as internal or external storage. However, if you chose to use it as internal storage it *must* be encrypted and is locked to that device, and if you use it as external it cannot be encrypted and can be moved from device to device with ease.

I don't know if @Stillcopper is misinformed or you are misunderstanding his post, but it is clearly the users choice.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, after all my vacillating and foot dragging, I just installed Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

The installation went off without a hitch, and everything looks normal.

Stillcopper

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Correct, but you can't move or install programs to it any longer. I move progs there to save space in the base 8gig.
And actually, since it's my phone, I feel they should just let us choose whether we want to take an update or not.

You absolutely can... Marshmallow doesn't force you to use the card as internal storage, you can chose to use it as internal or external storage. However, if you chose to use it as internal storage it *must* be encrypted and is locked to that device, and if you use it as external it cannot be encrypted and can be moved from device to device with ease.

I don't know if @Stillcopper is misinformed or you are misunderstanding his post, but it is clearly the users choice.

Correct on the 'still be able to use it' however not in the same way as before for installing and running programs from. Only programs already on it can be run from it, no new ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

so we should move all possible apps to SD before updating to MM ?

thereverend2u2

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Well I can tell you from my experience that I had a Samsung S6 and the minute I took marshmellow the whole world fell apart. WiFi calling was a major issue. Worked with my carrier for 2 months before they sent me a replacement phone without marshmellow on it and I can tell you for sure one thing. I will not be upgrading to marshmellow anytime soon. Samsung is VERY aware of this problem and I am surprised that they have let it go on this long. My wife has a S7 BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX and she has problems with the wifi calling too. Sadly that phone ships stock with Marshmellow or I would make them send her another one without it. Not sure what I can do there, Don't want to root the phone as it voids the warranty with the carrier and samsung for some reason. Not sure why that rule is in place all these buggers are, are small Linux computers running the app android on them..

dt mi

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site

notifications to update go away exactly in one week, then you just have to check in (settings -> about device -> system update) for it if you want to upgrade, I wouldn't, 5.1.1 is leagues better than 6.0

it will come back for some days but no longer than 6-7 days, you can always upgrade your device from the settings menu (about device - system update), the update will always be there for whenever you feel the need to upgrade.

I'm sorry but my experience says this is not true. :(

I have a Moto G3 and have been getting the MM update messages multiple times a day for 3 months now. I recently went into Settings|Apps|All|Motorola Update Services and unchecked the 'Show notifications' box. It now appears that I only get the MM update notification when I power up the phone instead of the multiple times each day like it has been. It's been less than a day since I did this so I can't say for sure it's a 'solution'.

I can live with getting the notification only when I power up the phone since it's usually on 24/7.

If anyone has a permanent solution that works I would love to hear it.

Edit: Well, unchecking the 'Display notifications' box didn't work. In the last 4 hours I've received the notification 'pop up' message twice now. This may likely be my last Motorola phone....

Last edited:

dt mi

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Just thought I post this for people looking for a solution.

After exchanging numerous emails with my provider and Motorola I've concluded that the notifications CANNOT be stopped. :( The following is the final message I received from Motorola on the subject:

There is no option to permanently disable the update notification. The system will not update itself automatically. It will only start the updating process once you tap on "Yes, I’m in" option.

I would suggest you to keep ignoring the notification for a few days and it may vanish but I cannot assure you on this. I hope you understand.

Since I've been getting the notifications for many weeks now I quite sure they will not 'vanish'.

vja4Him

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
On Lollipop, the process you want to disable is called "Motorola Update Services." On your phone's app settings, 'Disable' is probably greyed out. So ... download and install a free app called SD Maid. In SD Maid, go into Settings.. AppControl... and check the box that says "Include System-Apps." Now, get out of 'Settings' and go into SD Maid's AppControl section and scroll down or search til you find Motorola Update Services (system name: com.motorola.ccc.ota). Click on it and choose "Freeze app." Save and exit.

You will now see on your phone's Settings... Apps.. that the Update service is listed under "Disabled."

I installed SD Maid (full paid version), but I do NOT see: Motorola Update Services (system name: com.motorola.ccc.ota). Click on it and choose "Freeze app." Save and exit.

There is NOT any "Freeze" option. I was able to disable one of the Update apps in Settings on my Note 4 (there are two Update apps in the Settings), but I still keep getting the Update Notice, and now I cannot choose Postpone, because it's "Grey."

I called Samsung Tech Support and they told me there is no way to stop the Marshmallow Update. This is very frustrating .... I just got a second Note 4 replacement because Marshmallow killed my battery life on my Note 4. Now I'm back to Lollipop, and my battery life is better, but even Lollipop has a battery drain bug, although not as bad as Marshmallow.

Is SD Maid the only option to try and kill the Updates (without Rooting). I do not want to Root. If I had rooted my Note 4, I would not have been able to get a replacement, and also Best Buy would not do the Software Reflash (which did NOT help, but actually made the Marshmallow battery drain even worse !!!)

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I installed SD Maid (full paid version), but I do NOT see: Motorola Update Services
... There is NOT any "Freeze" option. I was able to disable one of the Update apps in Settings on my Note 4 (there are two Update apps in the Settings), but I still keep getting the Update Notice...

I called Samsung Tech Support and they told me there is no way to stop the Marshmallow Update.
Samsung Tech Tupport gave you incorrect information, first of all.

I'm very sorry about your troubles you're having. I am, however, fairly certain you will not, unfortunately, be able to freeze that update process without root.

By the way, those other two "Update Apps" you speak of, what were they and where did you find them? We're they in the device's Settings... Apps... area?

Bart45

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I followed the suggestions for my Motorola G 3rd Gen by downloading SD maid. I went to Tools, then App Control, clicked on Motorola Update Services, and did not find an option to "Freeze App". So I'm stopped there. Any suggestions to keep going? I REALLY don't want to update my phone. The last update on a previous Motorola phone wiped out all sorts of stuff I was never able to recover. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Last edited:

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I followed the suggestions for my Motorola G 3rd Gen by downloading SD maid. I went to Tools, then App Control, clicked on Motorola Update Services, and did not find an option to "Freeze App". So I'm stopped there. Any suggestions to keep going? I REALLY don't want to update my phone. The last update on a previous Motorola phone wiped out all sorts of stuff I was never able to recover. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Oh right, sorry, I misread your earlier post, and didn't realise that the Motorola Update was the the app with 'freeze' greyed out. I don't know, man. Even the things I always use for protection in the event of a bad update (Titanium Backup and Nandroid backup) both require root.

I can sure see why you're so reluctant about the update. Think I'd be gun-shy, too. I'm not sure of anything else to try. Guess you are stuck on PITA nag screen, at least for now.

Good luck, mate

Bart45

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I really don't understand what rooting is or does, but I'm willing to do it if it will stop Marshmallow from taking over my phone. It will download as soon as I connect to WiFi. Has it worked for others to defect Marshmallow? How do get started rooting my phone? Any guidance is really appreciated.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I really don't understand what rooting is or does, but I'm willing to do it if it will stop Marshmallow from taking over my phone. It will download as soon as I connect to WiFi. Has it worked for others to defect Marshmallow? How do get started rooting my phone? Any guidance is really appreciated.
Rooting involves unlocking the bootloader, which also voids your warranty and wipes all your data, then installing SuperSU which also prevents you from taking future OTA updates (actually, you can take them but they will fail).

TBH, why not just take the update? I have been on Marshmallow since November and have had almost zero problems.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
If you have a 16gb phone or bigger take the 6.0 update and format your card to extended memory. If you have an 8gb phone, don't have many apps, and use your phone for games, update also. However, if you are one of these people that uses their phone as a media/gaming centre, for God's sake stick with Lollipop, and put up with the notifications